Play Balance.....

Guest tom w

Guest tom w

Ok...

We all know the Allies won the war and after reading that Doctoral Thesis on why SPR was not really all that historically

accurate, we can assume that the allies have air superiority

and plenty of help from LARGE naval artillary. Fine. That said,

will CM give us a FUN game where you can enjoy picking the Germans and have a chance to win any of the scenarios offered in the Gold release?

I really do enjoy the historical accuracy and detail put into the

game. But, BUT I hope the there is "some" form of play balance

that ensures that the choice to play the Germans, is not a choice

to select a losing position or force. This may not be really historically accurate because, well obviously, in the big battles that really mattered after D-Day the Allies had, (as mentioned)

air superiority and Naval Artillary, but do the Germans have a chance to win or do the odds always favour the Allies in the new scenario's in the Gold Master. My vote is for FUN and play balance OVER historical accuracy.

I suspect the Gold Master is by now almost complete.

My question is simply... (as perhaps policitical uncorrect as it could be here....) Will it be "FUN" or at the very least, fair to pick the Germans, in any given scenario, given the fact that they (as we all know) lost the war and generally did not win very many battles after D-Day? (Tiger killing 25 tanks aside, now that

sounds like fun..) (BTW, where's the scenario that catches the Allied column on the road and the Tiger Picks off the first vehicle and the last vechicle and the rest are bunched so close the Tiger just goes one by one and takes OUT whole column, I understand that is historically accurate. I suspect some one here can tell me when and where that happened)

And with regard to the Gold Demo may I suggest that Close Encounter be selected as the scenario of choice and perhaps the

German Side be given some additional element (Armour, infantry, artillary or something ) to give it a little more play balance against those 5 damn Shermans.

Thanks

-Tom W

Guest KwazyDog

Hi Tom. The quick answer to your question is definately wink.gif

At the scale represented in CM the allies defiantely did have what could be describe as losses, when they were both attacking and defending (at this scale it did happen) against the Germans. Generally in scenarios you will probably find that the Germans are often outnumbered in a man for man basis, but often have somewhat more technology at their desposal. Also, being on the defense a good portion of the time they have this advantage as well.

Guest Big Time Software

Yeah, it is all a question of scale. At the tactical level the Germans generally have an ADVANTAGE. Well, at least if you design your own or pick battles where the Allies didn't do some sort of overkill during the battle.

Strategically the Germans didn't have much of a chance, but tactically they certainly did. CM has that in a major way. And don't forget... what is on the Gold CD is only about 1/2,000,000,000th of the total possible scenarios (and I might be underestimating that smile.gif), so if you don't like what is on there do up your own or download someone else's. The random battle generator should keep everybody happy!

Steve

Guest tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARCHANGEL:

Tom W,

I take it you haven't WON CE as the German's yet??? smile.gif It can be done. (Total Axis Victory)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can win CE with the Axis, against the computer,

the AI is reasonably predictable. But I challenge any

one to pick the Germans in CE against any human

opponent with an understanding of what those

5 Shermans can really do. All the Allies have to do is

trade their tanks one for one or even 4 for 3 and its

over for the Germans in that scenario. I have found

a couple of way to trounce the Allies when playing the Germans

vs. the AI but in three games against a human opponent

the 3 Stugs and the Germans just can't find a way to win.

-Tom W

P.S. Thanks Steve, I agree, on a tactical level there was

historically, a German edge. So that will be GREAT.

Thanks for the quick reply.

TOM W said

. But I challenge any

one to pick the Germans in CE against any human

opponent with an understanding of what those

5 Shermans can really do. All the Allies have to do is

trade their tanks one for one or even 4 for 3 and its

over for the Germans in that scenario. I have found

a couple of way to trounce the Allies when playing the Germans

vs. the AI but in three games against a human opponent

the 3 Stugs and the Germans just can't find a way to win.

OK man I'll take that challenge _ i'll happily play GERMANS - mail me the setup smile.gif

I have no trouble doing well as GErms - I don't win em all but a good portion smile.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

Tom W,

I've won CE playing as the Germans in PBEM games 3 times. I achieved 1 narrow victory and 2 rather easy victories.

Ps. My opponents weren't newbies either. All three who chose to play as the Americans were experienced wargamers with at least ten years of experience each. You can win you just have to play smart and use what you have as effectively as possible.

Personally I play almost exclusively as the Germans and don't find them in any way penalised in-game. You've got to remember that an army which loses strategically and operationally could still be one which dominates the tactical battlefield when going 1 on 1 with the enemy.

P.p.s. Naval artillery only lasts while you're within 10 to 20 miles of the coast. Once you're farther inland than that it can't reach.

Guest KwazyDog

And aint that a bloody good thing Fionn smile.gif

I had a game where I managed to take the town which was the objective, repel an assult through a nearby forest and thought all was well until I heard the artey coming. 10 rounds near destroyed an entire reinforced company including armour. I hate that stuff smile.gif