Minor Interface flaws

Guest G2A

Group Hiding:

Selecting several squads and telling them to hide only toggles hiding for each squad. I'd like a way to make them all hide, even if they're already hiding.

Group Moving:

Moving a group of squads seems to move them all the same distance and direction. There should be an order for moving them all to the same destination, especially for moving a single platoon.

Selecting a platoon:

Does this actually work? When i double-click an HQ, nothing ever happens. confused.gif

------------------

"Grab your weapons, get up and fight!"

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G2A:

Group Hiding:

Selecting several squads and telling them to hide only toggles hiding for each squad. I'd like a way to make them all hide, even if they're already hiding.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HUH????

You just answered yourself!

You said that, "Selecting several squads and telling them to hide only toggles hiding for each squad."

That's what it is supposed to do! If you mean you want them to move and then hide, well then do it.

Then you said, "I'd like a way to make them all hide, even if they're already hiding."

How are you gonna "hide" a squad more than they're "hiding"??

But, now if you mean that doing a "group" order will only toggle the "hide" order either way (on/off), then YES, that is a problem. Then that IS something that Charles should know about.

Group Hiding:

Selecting several squads and telling them to hide only toggles hiding for each squad. I'd like a way to make them all hide, even if they're already hiding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe I understand what you're saying. If one unit of a platoon is in 'hide' mode, and the rest of the platoon is not, when you group select the entire platoon, and say 'hide', it simply "toggles" their hide mode, which in turn would cause that single unit to now be unhidden. Correct? Can't say I've tried the hide command in this manner on a group of units, but if this is the way the game works, I too would prefer this option forced all selected units to hide and not toggle their hide state.

Group Moving:

Moving a group of squads seems to move them all the same distance and direction. There should be an order for moving them all to the same destination, especially for moving a single platoon.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I prefer the group order move to keep the existing spacing the platoon has to avoid bunching them up for easy pickens for ambush or mortar attack, etc. After you issue the group order, you do have to 'check' the move location for each unit to see if it's what you want, but normally on a group move, I'm not fine tuning their final position and am instead just getting my unit up close to the destination I want.

I dont see there is a big problem here with either the "Hide"procedure or the "Move "one.

Re the "Hide " question it is very easy to issue the order to all the squads except the one already hiding.This makes logical sense in a real world situation which is exactly how the order would be communicated.

Re the "Move" question. I agree that you do not want your squads to bunch up for sound defensive reasons and so the current spaced movement is appropriate. Also when you get close to a threatening or uncertain situation you would no longer want to be issuing group orders anyway but more precise individual orders to your squads.

i think the current system works quite well.

Well, I did say *minor* flaws. wink.gif

Re: the hiding problem. If two squads are hiding, and three squads aren't hiding, why would a "hide" order be interpreted by the ones already in hiding as a "stop hiding" order. Sometimes there are several squads in a small area, and it's hard to select the one you want, so you drag-select them all. The "toggling" behaviour is useless in any situation.

Re: the moving issue. Yes, of course the current behaviour is good in most situations where you would issue group orders. What I would want is an easy way to restore some kind of order among my troops. For example, when regrouping. It's just a question of convenience. Micromanaging every squad every turn shouldn't always be necessary.

------------------

"Grab your weapons, get up and fight!"