My PC died last night....

My brother in law just bought himself a new system, so he brought some of his old PC100 memory to me for my system. I installed it, but the system wasn't detecting it so I removed/replaced them. Then the system wouldn't boot at all, so I started fiddling around and found that the EIDE cable for the hard drive was unseated. I reseated that and started the machine. It booted up and detected the extra memory (128MB! WOO HOO!)

After 10 minutes, while checking email, the system froze and now refuses to boot at all. I get the initial power-on hard drive light, but that's it. Nothing's loose, so the only way to find out is to hack around with the motherboard, and it's just not worth it. I'd been planning to order a Thunderbird system in a week or so, so I'll just be computer-less for some time.

So, to my PBEM opponents, and to anybody else on this board who might try to contact me, that's why I'm not responding.

DjB

Doug dont know if you reading this but if you have a slot 1 processor double check the seating on that

if you are using a ppga to slot one converter that may be bad

also your power supply possibly could've taken a dump

I would try taking out the new memery; dbl check the seating on the old again and then try

just some thoughts maybe one will help frown.gif

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader.......out

[This message has been edited by SS_PanzerLeader (edited 07-21-2000).]

I took the plunge and ordered a new system:

T-bird 700

Asus motherboard w/4xAGP, ATA100 hard drive

128MB RAM

20GB ATA/100 hard drive

Asus6600 GeForce card, 32MB

Sound Blaster Live Value card

I can't wait til it gets here; it might be more than 2 weeks to get it due to the low supplies of the Asus motherboard.

I coulda had a faster CPU or better video card, but I wanted the mobo and hard drive to be the best possible so I don't have to worry about upgrading them; it's much easier to replace a video card or CPU than a motherboard or hard drive IMHO.

DjB

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I may be getting a similar system soon.....how much will that new rig set you back Doug ??

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

[This message has been edited by Captitalistdoginchina (edited 07-27-2000).]

I'm paying US $1274. That system has no mouse/keyboard/speakers, as I have them already. In this month's PCGamer, Alienware is advertising a similar system for $1450; from one quick glance at the specs I can't see any difference.

I'm having it built by a company called Uptime (www.uptime-corp.com) as I have a pretty good relation with the rep handling my company's account. They will build any setup that can be built, but it may take them some time to get components.

DjB