British Artillery Site

tar

Apologies if this is already well-known, but I recently saw mention of an extensive site about WWII British artillery:

WWII British Artillery

I saw this on the Consimworld Gamers TCS board. It was cited in connection with a discussion about the use of smoke during WWII. British doctrine seemed to call for a fair amount of smoke coverage, although some posters seemed to feel that the use of smoke was often controlled at division level.

Anyway, I thought the site might be interesting to CMBO players.

Nigel Evans has put together a truly impressive site, which has just gotten better over the last couple of years.

Originally posted by tar:

... British doctrine seemed to call for a fair amount of smoke coverage,...

There is an old saw "bags of smoke and up the guts" smile.gif Sadly I heard it recommended by a Colonel during a recent tewt :eek:

Originally posted by tar:

... although some posters seemed to feel that the use of smoke was often controlled at division level...

Well, since later in the war (ie, roughly post mid-42, certainly from 43 onwards) all British artillery was controlled at the divisional level by the CRA anyway, this is a somewhat obvious and inane observation.

Regards

JonS