Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Operation Tonga - Master Maps published

My master maps for Operation Tonga - East of the Orne have been uploaded to The Scenario Depot.  Although there are 14 files there are only four maps, three new and one old one revised. The addtional files are variants for vanilla game, vanilla with vanilla flavor objects, game with buildings modded and game with both buildings and flavor objects modded.

• 2 weeks later...

Operation Tonga - Update July 22

The following have been completed:

Three master maps (already uploaded to the Scenario Depot).

8th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - Two single-player British scenarios.

12th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - all significant events.  Four single-player British and three single-player German scenarios.

13th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - all significant events.  Six single-player British and two single-player German scenarios.

Just Completed Today: A new Merville battery map.

Current work in progress:

9th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - The Assault on Merville battery. This will have two versions, one historical and one "what if the assault went as planned with all elements arriving?"

What's next after this? More scenarios to complete day one.

9th Para's assault on Le Plein

9th Para and 2st SSB's assault on Amfreville.

Being Canadian, I would love to include the 1st Cdn Para's but cannot find any significant information so far. Not despairing yet though.

16 hours ago, WimO said:

Operation Tonga - Update July 22

The following have been completed:

Three master maps (already uploaded to the Scenario Depot).

8th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - Two single-player British scenarios.

12th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - all significant events.  Four single-player British and three single-player German scenarios.

13th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - all significant events.  Six single-player British and two single-player German scenarios.

Just Completed Today: A new Merville battery map.

Current work in progress:

9th Parachute Bn, 6th Airborne - D-Day June 6 - The Assault on Merville battery. This will have two versions, one historical and one "what if the assault went as planned with all elements arriving?"

What's next after this? More scenarios to complete day one.

9th Para's assault on Le Plein

9th Para and 2st SSB's assault on Amfreville.

Being Canadian, I would love to include the 1st Cdn Para's but cannot find any significant information so far. Not despairing yet though.

I made a scenario for the assault on Merville battery a long while ago. Tried to make it as historical as possible. Will be interesting to compare to what you come up with especially the "what if" version. The assault through the minefields was the trickiest part to get right IMO.

@rocketman I think you did the assault through the minefields just right. They had been reconnoitred and marked before the main body arrived. I will mark them using a 'preserve' terrain objective with no points value. I had wanted to ask you some questions before I started but now, a month later, I don't remember what they were. My interpretation will obviously be a bit different than yours. As you know, adjustments need to me made for the game's limitations. The biggest problem is how to present a 300 man German garrison with a few bunkers that can accommodate only a section of men each. The game can never recreate the event exactly.

Cheers.

Wim

On 7/23/2024 at 4:52 AM, WimO said:

Been a while since I've read it but can say that ...

https://www.amazon.com.au/Juno-Beach-Canadas-D-Day-Victory/dp/1771623845/ref=sr_1_9?crid=14ZPOBKT7W85P&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.QRFgKK_k95q0BldlTjThN_Qzf2UzJ1Dz0kw206Bslx98mBpGJQEgyyeUoawkSr4uKoC6375l_aexUHWVIyGDMNgiBjZjvGq5VpouVQyabEBaZAfwsyKNv9CS5pFp3JIu4IBtd5Y9GthapdLT_05pMgpkKMCrzA47q0wXWHSr1DseVVef3yHOVbd1E1VYrSVfthdW2PAbAwxOqpYxWZ7zbWlKZD9vyTBI_MTRwYPyxE4.KwsZ2sYIGGYS39j0-xRaPDACO_tidpg0RyDlArXE-Ls&dib_tag=se&keywords=Canada+D-Day&qid=1721786246&s=books&sprefix=canada+d-da%2Cstripbooks%2C325&sr=1-9

Includes content relating to the Canadian Parachute Battalion on D-Day. I think maybe a chapter or two but don't quote me on that. :)

On 7/23/2024 at 5:15 PM, WimO said:

@rocketman Greetings! I was trying to track down the creator of the original Merville battery scenario.  Did you do "Merveilles a Merville/Assault on Merville Battery"?

Yes, that is the one. I agreee that the limitation regarding bunkers is a problem. I recently saw a documentary that only briefly mentioned the assault (interviews with real life people) and that most of the German garrison was eliminated in the bunkers and not in real battle. Can't say if the interview is representative, but lowering the total from 300 and have them fight outside of the bunkers seems like a fair estimate.

I have the book that @Ithikial_AU mentions. I used it for my (unfinished) scenario for the Juno beach landings. I can have a look if you let me know what you are looking for specifically.

@rocketmanI also found the book on my shelf. Had forgotten about it.

It seems that some of the Germans managed to hold out by locking themselves in the non-gun bunkers. Turns out the scenario (as you know) is a lot of work for a little action. I am trying to make it more intersting by using triggers to activate Germans both inside and out. For example: the battery commander arrived during the action and departed again, a German half-track FlaK arrived late during the action and Steiner ordered a shoot  on the battery late during the action.  Lt. Poole's glider landed in Wood 3 just as the action started and some suggest he skirmished with a patrol although the later may be the reporter's confusion with another encounter.