Air Support spottable for ww2 titles or not?

Hi all,

What's the current state of this? I read in the CM Manual (v4) that all air support is now 'automatic' in that roams around and makes its own attacks (ie. it cannot be spotted), and yet I clearly recall spotting (or trying to!) air support in one of the CMBfN beginner battles.

I'm currently playing an RT scenario (Gates of Warsaw), and the GE fighter-bombers have been marked as 'Preparing' and 'En Route' (therefore unavailable) for much of the battle, even though they've been buzzing, tantalizingly overhead for quite a while, but no one seems to be allowed to contact them, let alone call in an attack.

Edited by RMM
Expand question

CMRT is the only game of the CMx2 series where you can't control air attacks.

They will engage automatically over the entire map. En route means that they are under way to the battlefield.

It is not defined on how long this can be. So they can show up very soon or rather late into the battle.

When it reads as "coming around" the aircraft prepares for a strafing run and you can expect it to engage in the next or following few turns...if it actually spots a thing that is.

When it reads something like "attacking" it is in the process of an attack (duh). So it either is about to engage, already fires on a target or disengages from the run. 

However note that while the aircraft will be active over the entire map, it probably will consider your forces as targets too (friendly fire). 

So keep your forces spread out and maybe dont so anything fancy while it is in search mode. :D

Edited by Brille