AI avoiding friendly fire?

Actually you're only half right.

In the demo tanks which are doing area fire keep on firing, even if friendly units enter the target area IF they don't see those friendly troops. IF they do see them then the tanks stop area firing..

Try it and see.. If you have an unbuttoned tank with no enemies firing at it I bet you'll see it shifting fire as the infantry close with its targeted area.

I can think of situations where you *would* want arty called in on your own position. If you were being really overwhelmed and had very few troops left, it might be better for you to have the arty come...

- Bill

There is no limitation on what can be targetted by FOs and neither should there be.

I've called in arty just 20 metres in front of my positions in a game today and accepted significant friendly casualties because I NEEDED the arty to break up an enemy company-sized attack.

So, as you can see, it is sometimes necessary to call arty down on your own head and the ability to do that shouldn't be limited.

Believe it or not, this happens in training - with disturbing regularity - despite very strict peacetime safety measures and OSH weenies.

So, having the computer to protect yourself from your own, umm, oversights would be uncalledfor smile.gif

Regards

Jon

------------------

Ubique

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colin:

I understand and I agree. I just didn't think it out first.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Colin, I find the ever present threat of fratricide or as the British put it, "own goal" both refreshing and realistic. Just the other day while playing Last Defense as the Germans I conducted a Panzer Grenadier assault on the first objective house on the German left. Unfortunately, I neglected to redirect an MG-42 team which had the defenders in a crossfire. I don't know what happened exactly, but I do know the halftrack died along with a third of the occupants. I am now much more careful when planning attacks into areas already under fire by my troops.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S. As a Mac owner, I hope you don't scrap your CM for Mac site.