Normandy '44 has hit the beach...

Normandy '44, by HPS is out- their site has not been updated, but one of my TCP/IP friends in Colorado got his copy a couple of days ago. He sent me the notes section to read while I wait for my copy...Canadian Customs is probably using it for a coaster...

frown.gif

I got a copy of their Panzer Ops Smolensk game and like it a lot. After you get used to the interface's awkward handling it's quite addictive. Fortunately they included a lot more scenarios (over 50) in the Normandy game.(Smolensk had under 20). Thanks Kevin for dropping a note, I ordered it immediately. It's now on their webpage too...

(in all it's ugline... aehm, wanted to say "classic" look smile.gif )

<hr>

------------------

<"let's take off and nuke the site from orbit! It's the only way to be sure">

-Cpl. Hicks, Aliens II

I have been playing Smolensk multiplayer almost every Sunday night, and it is excellent. I don't find the interface too bad- but I am used to playing the Battleground Series, of which Panzer Campaigns is quite similar (same designer).

Normandy will be much different to play then Smolensk: Normandy will be more an attrition battle, whereas Smolensk allows sweeping flank movements. The unit count is pretty high in N44- the designers have tried to take a few steps to alleviate the congestion, without compromising the historical OOB. One of the reasons there are more units stems from the fact that some types are represented as low as platoon level, where appropriate. The ability to combine units is retained, however. Also, the maps and OOB are extended enough to cover right up to the final breakout in Operation Cobra- the scope of the game as shipped doesn't go that far, but the scenario editor will allow players to create scenarios after the period originally mirrored in the game. The editor is very good- I have fiddled with the editor in Smolensk, and creating new units and orgs is very easy to do. I would recommend the series to anybody who likes to play "hex-based" games. The series reminds me a lot of SPI's old board games, such as Highway to the Reich, and Atlantic Wall.