Misc armor questions

Just finished reading the manual. I have a couple of questions.

1. I read from Panzer Elite manual that blotted armor creates speical problem that deflects shots in a wired manner. Is it modelled in CM?

2. I think this has been asked before. Is field armor add-on (such as spare tracks) taken int account in CM?

3. I read the section of "shot trap" several times but I am still not sure why it deflets a shot into the turret ring.

Thanks in adv.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. I read from Panzer Elite manual that blotted armor creates speical problem that deflects shots in a wired manner. Is it modelled in CM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't understand your phrasing here.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2. I think this has been asked before. Is field armor add-on (such as spare tracks) taken int account in CM?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe this is what the Shermans with the + in their names have.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>3. I read the section of "shot trap" several times but I am still not sure why it deflets a shot into the turret ring.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, here's an example from real life. In the Tank Museum at Bovington Camp is a Tiger I that was knocked out by a 6pdr (!) due to the shot-trap effect of the gun AND mantlet (!). You can see the holes to this day.

If you look at Tiger's gun, you see it's larger in diameter the closer it is to the turret. And where it joins the turret, there's a swelling of armor around the barrel.

In this particular case, the Tiger and the Brit tank were aiming directly at each other. The Brit got off the 1st shot and it NEARLY went right down the Tiger's gun barrel. It actually scraped along the underside of the gun for the full length of the barrel. Each time it hit one of the wider places on the gun, it was deflected down a bit more. The last deflection made it hit the very bottom edge of the swelling at the base of the gun on the front face of the turret. This turned the shot sharply downwards and through the top of the Tiger's hull just in front of the turret. It then continued into the turret ring mechanism and fighting compartment.

That is how a shot trap works. The shot hits the front of the turret in such a way that it's deflected down onto the top of the hull. This being much thinner armor, the shot usually penetrates. This Tiger example is 1-in-a-million, but the cylindrical front face of the early Panther turret had a fairly high chance of deflecting rounds down into the hull.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman