OE and other Maladies

I just got a new rig. I had it locally made. The stats are as follows: AMD 900, 256 Ram, AMD motherboard, SB Live card, Voodoo 5500 agp, Dvd player. 30 gig HD., W98

This sucker just doesn't seem to like CM.

(And CM was part of the reason for getting the new one)

1. I have totally up-to-date drivers for EVERYTHING.

2. I have moved thru the entire option file for the Voodoo, trying double, single etc, chipset as well as various speeds. Nada.

3. ANY time I enter Cm, there is a screen asking me at what rez I want to play...even tho this is set in the control panel...

Here is what happens...when set on fastest speed the places on the screen where there is writing all turn white. I have managed to stop that. I even managed, with Jasons help, to stop the mouse from taking chunks out of the screen simply by moving it over the screen.

What happens now is that when I hit GO, the "computer thinking" line works, then the blue line near the "hotkeys" works...then NOTHING HAPPENS mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

The blue line is the last thing that moves...the screen freezes and it requires C/A/D to exit. This is happening in EVERY setting. Period.

The following message comes up now and then:

Exception OE has occurred at 0028:C182877 in VXD 00008717 CALLED from 0028:C1828620 in VXD CDFS (03)+ 0085Co.

OK...Do any of you Techno Guys know what the hell is going on here and why my old Voodoo 2 played CM and my Voodoo 5500 won't?? confused.gif

(For the record, I got the Voodoo because I was a closed Beta on RB2-3D and still play it...the other new cards didn't support it)

Thanks,

Archangel

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ARCHANGEL (edited 07-25-2000).]

You have either a video card or a sound card driver issue. The fact that the "VXD 00008717" is not showing a module name (such as GDI.exe etc.) means it is not a registered driver, which means its most likely not a system driver.

Your mouse problem would also point to a video problem.

The CDFS reference may mean that another process could be interfering. My understanding is that the CD is ONLY accessed when you launch the game. Perhaps there is a motherboard issue there - not sure.

Here's what to check:

1. Ensure your Direct X installation is up to date.

2. If you have updated the Voodoo drivers to the latest, try testing with the drivers one build back to see what happens.

Good luck!

------------------

[HC]Pookie

http://talk.to/hc

hcpookie@hotmail.com

Funny you should mention this. I tried out a Voodoo5 5500 from Electronics Boutique for a 10 day trial. I noticed the very same thing. My previous TNT had no graphic problems whatsoever with CM. As soon as I plugged in the Voodoo5 5500 I noticed image overlapping and many graphical glitches. Text was nothing but white blotches. There would be patches in the screen where the color was missing and every now and then a image of my mouse cursor would appear on a graphic. It was weird. I upgraded my drivers, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the card. The problem persisted.

May I ask you what you did to eliminate the mouse from taking chunks of graphics from the screen?

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-25-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARCHANGEL:

ANY time I enter Cm, there is a screen asking me at what rez I want to play...even tho this is set in the control panel...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't say about your other problems, but the resolution thing is normal (don't ask me why:confused smile.gif. If you want to increase your resolution, you have to throw away the prefs file in the cmbo folder, then set your monitor to a resolution at least as high as the one you want to use for the game. The game connot run in a resolution higher than the one set on the monitor when you start the game.

Henri

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ricky:

Funny you should mention this. I tried out a Voodoo5 5500 from Electronics Boutique for a 10 day trial. I noticed the very same thing. My previous TNT had no graphic problems whatsoever with CM. As soon as I plugged in the Voodoo5 5500 I noticed image overlapping and many graphical glitches. Text was nothing but white blotches. There would be patches in the screen where the color was missing and every now and then a image of my mouse cursor would appear on a graphic. It was weird. I upgraded my drivers, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the card. The problem persisted.

May I ask you what you did to eliminate the mouse from taking chunks of graphics from the screen?

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-25-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ricky,

I just changed the ailising to single. I think it also was OK in the double, but in fastest and four it was still taking chunks out of the screen. confused.gif

Did you get another card to replace the Voodoo??

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ricky:

[This message has been edited by Ricky (edited 07-25-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ricky,

I re-set the ailising to a lower level and that stopped the white out and the mouse chunks...(Jason found that out on here, not me)

Now it won't play at all... eek.gif

Did you replace the Voodoo 5500???

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARCHANGEL:

(For the record, I got the Voodoo because I was a closed Beta on RB2-3D and still play it...the other new cards didn't support it)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Angel,

I was in a similar situation, I was in beta for RB2 (SP only) and when I upgraded I was looking at V5500 too. The owner of the store I was buying the parts from (unknowingly) quoted Moriarty from Kelly's Heroes.

"It's a piece of junk".

I don't think it is, many people at Delphi love it, but I decided to finally let RB die and went with a GeForce1 instead (for less money, I mean it's close to ancient, almost eight months old). If I get the itch I'll buy a used Voodoo3 to run any Glide games.

Btw, you ARE deleting the prefs file every time before you try to run CM? And you have disabled any mouse scroll software too? From what I recall you can't have an active scroll wheel with CM.

Hope it works out for you. I'm drooling at the thought of me running CM for the first time with my new sys. I went from P166 to Athlon 700.

Oh yeah, if I were you I'd go for Windows ME or even Win2K (I am) at the earliest opportunity. Win98 IS a piece of junk imo.

Geier

[This message has been edited by Geier (edited 07-26-2000).]