Extract Heightmap from created map?

• 2 weeks later...

Actually I was thinking about the "overlay" feature of the editor. As long as its a 24-bit .BMP image file it can be used as an overlay in the editor, greatly helping with drawing the elevation coding as well as other nap graphics. 

What would be even better was if the editor could actually "auto-code" elevations based on an input greyscale heightmap. Also being able to export such a greyscale HM from the editor would be amazing.

Edited by SchnelleMeyer

• 2 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, Butschi said:

I'd better make good on my promise to polish and publish the other tool first. 😉

For the reverse direction you'd need decent OCR... the rest should more or less be scrolling around (I can take that from the other tool) and getting the logic correct. Oh well, no promises but if I find the time I'll take a look.

I just remembered that I actually did take a look a while ago and forget to report back. For now this is a definite nope. I tried pytesseract which is a wrapper around google's OCR but it did a really bad job at reading elevation values and wasn't precisely super fast. Maybe with higher zoom levels it could work but here the next issue kicks in: There is something decidedly odd with the graphics, meaning that I see absolutely no way to make live screenshots, at least not from within python. I always get the state when I started the python program, so scrolling will do no good and that would be a prerequisite to reading all the values.