Has anyone gotten a good outcome on the "Valley of Death" scenario as the Americans?

Mechasaurian

It just seems a really rough scenario.

You're supposed to grab some objective locations (a bunch of houses) on the other side of the swamp, but the Russians get their mech infantry before you and can infest that area first. And by the time you get your own infantry and Bradley IFVs, they have a few tanks on the field and trying to cross the open ground to get to the stream - never mind the village - is suicide.

And then all the Russian tanks arrive. So. Many. Tanks.

If I dare say so myself, I think I did decently well by getting a 6:1 tank kill ratio with my 4 Abrams and the Javelin-armed infantry. Thing is, I needed a banzai charge from the Russians to manage that, and afterwards I was in no fit state to push forwards. That didn't get me points within the context of the scenario.

Any advice? What sort of principles should I be employing in a situation like this? Is it really reasonable for the scenario to expect me to push forwards and occupy the village with the forces I've been given?

20211121071551_1.jpg

• 3 months later...

Yeah, you've got to really stay in a stand off mode using reverse slopes and foliage on this one. It took me A LOT of tries, but once I realized this mission is all about scouting, airpower and precision artillery, it kinda all clicked. Gotta time your big airstrikes for the initial thrust of the mech divison zerg, that'll clog up the roads and create a lot of awkward movement that'll allow your troops to pick them off and then quickly withdraw. Rinse and repeat. I set up a small team in the left hand woods at the highest point (can snipe the harder to get AA from here), and the hill on the right is where most of the javelines / atgm should be concentrated in places easy to get reverse slope / foliage concealment from... GL! :)

Oh and I bomb the crap out of  the village with one of the arties at least for a bit - the shell holes and carnage there also seems to cause some chaos when the zerglings try to rush through.

Edited by Kosigan