What's New in War

Just received cdmag.com's wargame info e-mailer. Wanna read it? Here it go:

COMPUTER GAMES ONLINE

WHAT'S NEW IN WAR

"Well, the annual E3 trade show isn't a hotbed for wargames, but there are a few things of interest here. Squad Leader, from Hasbro and Random Games, is in Hasbro's booth, and it looks... well, similar to Random's other tactical games. I'll be seeing it in more detail this afternoon, so expect an update then.

Also there is EA's Shogun, which is almost ready to ship. I'm going to also try and see if Mattel is going to bring any of the SSI titles to fruition.

Stay tuned."

How does that song go? "Future's so bright, I gotta wear shades"? More like blinders! The future of wargame development has obviously passed from the mega-conglomerates to the indies like BTS, Matrix, and HPS. When is the "free" press gonna wake the f**k up?

[This message has been edited by von Lucke (edited 05-11-2000).]

Guest Captain Foobar

I dont know, but I have been trying to spread the word myself. I think that's how it HAS o happen, at least till some people wake up....

Combat Mission has to prove itself, and it will, given some time for people to come around....

Guest Big Time Software

There's a shift going on in the wargames industry: small outfits (like us) moving away from "mass market retail" and on to the internet.

The gaming magazines and websites are aware of this process, but not (always) fully up to speed on it. In fairness, it's all pretty new. How many internet-only games were there just six months ago compared to today? A lot less! And how many "big" companies have at least begun to move away from making wargames? All of them. Things move very fast in internet time.

So your word of mouth helps us out a lot. The media will only "wake up" to the new net-distribution phenomenon if they sense that their readership cares about it. So let 'em know! Any time you chat up CM out there in cyberland it will help alert more people to its existence, so they can check out the demo and judge for themselves. Thanks for all your efforts!

Charles

No Charles - thank YOU. When it boils down to it I am pretty selfish. I support Battlefront and CM because I believe in its manifesto and CM is the best thing to happen to my PC since it was put together. I have e-mailed editors and as yet am awaiting replies - but I will not give up. I think we all want CM to succeed, not ONLY to show our apreciation to you guys, whom have taken the risk and gone out on a limb to produce something you believe in, but also because we know that you success will spawn future CM's and maybe other people will take note. We can all only gain from this gem you have created. smile.gif

As a lurker since before the Beta Demo, I've finally decided to pop out of my foxhole & give a hearty "Well Done!"

Some of the online gaming press seems to get it (& to be fair, CDmag has been pretty good with their coverage & on their forum], here's a reference from GDR's strategy camp page referencing CM:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Combat Mission. The most promising WWII tactical warfare game ever. The beta versions were great fun, and the full release is now very close. Don't know if Big Time will be at E3 though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Most promising WWII tactical warfare game ever." Not too shabby.

The URL is: http://www.gamesdomain.com/gdreview/index.html .

(Click on the Strategy Camp column in May 9th section)

Must say I agree with the sentiment.

--Philistine

[This message has been edited by Philistine (edited 05-11-2000).]