When do Victory Flags change sides?

I have had a few occasions recently where the VF I was attacking showed neutral or the US flag (my side), but as I closed in I engaged German units that were in fact much closer to the VF than my US units. These were a squad and a panzerfaust team, which seem to be substantial enough to merit a VF notice.

What is the rule for when the VF changes from neutral to a side, or from one side to another?

Thanks for any help. (Yes, I tried to find this by searching first)

------------------

"One must gratefully acknowledge that the real reason for Allied victory over Germany in World War II was the superior skill of the enormous army of lawyers filing suit against Hitler in the Federal courts of the United States."

Churchill -- 1945

[This message has been edited by Lawyer (edited 10-09-2000).]

If a victory flag shows your own colors, that means that AS FAR AS YOU KNOW you control the location. If there are enemy troops near the flag that you don't know about, then the flag may in fact be neutral or even enemy-controlled. A flag that shows neutral means that you are unaware of any significant forces (friendly or enemy) near the location.

Also note that AFAIK flags don't update during turn movies, but only when you go on to the next turn. So in your example, the flag probably still showed neutral/US control to the end of the current turn, but during your next orders phase I would expect it to shift to German/neutral (depending on proximity and number of forces).

In general, to control a flag you must occupy the area near the flag with some "significant" force (I don't think a single Jeep or crew will do, but a squad almost certainly will) while preventing the enemy from doing the same. There may be a strength comparison involved as well (e.g. if you have 2 platoons near the flag, a single enemy squad might not force it to be neutral) but I don't know for sure.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

I always looked at it as you had to have a substancial amount or even overwhelming bit of force there to control the flag. Because even when you're fighting over it, the flag won't change hands until you've driven off the enemy to where your troops out number and out power them.

Because even after you've left a flag behind lines with none of your units there it will revert back to neutral.

Which basically goes back to how this game is designed differently than other games such as Steel Panthers or Talonsofts Campaign series in which the main objective is not just a flag rush, but a rush to eliminate the enemy.

------------------

Coming soon to a web near you...

The Maximus CM Mod HQ

This site will be host to a plethera of mods from myself and others.

Please send questions and comments to: davem@shawneelink.net

I'm not sure, but I don't think panicked or routed troops count for holding VFs.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

In a QB I played last night the Americans occupied a building right underneath a VF with a squad but the flag didn't change on the next turn because the building in question was behind my lines (I believe). I think you have to have a certain majority presence in the area to get a flag to change.

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.

Each victory location is an area (presumably a circle) around a victory flag. Radius of the area is UNK (to me at any rate, although it should be easy enough to determine). I wonder if LOS matters (probably not), and whether the radius is different for small or large flags?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley