Recoilless Rifles

Guest Pershing Predator

Guest Pershing Predator

As a gamer still learning the details of a game like Combat Mission, I wanted to get a few opinions on whether recoilless rifles are a truly useful and cost effective weapon in PBEMs. I'm in a 5000 point game using the Germans, and I just wanted some friendly advice.

------------------

"When did this valley get here?"

"Toldja we were firing the 14-Inch guns."

-Pershing Predator

They are deadly against halftracks, and quite effective against light tanks and armored cars. Because they fire a hollow charge, like a panzerfaust warhead, their armor penetration does not decrease with range, like ordinary AP rounds. However, they aren't very much good against Shermans, and shrecks are better within 60m.

Bottom line-if your opponet loves halftracks, buy a couple. If not, go with antitank guns or more shrecks.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

I usually forego them and get 20mm AA guns instead, takes out all vehicles from long range, very hard to detect (place it back in the trees a little), built in AA defense, great defense against the Greyhound and mortars. I use the 20mm to take out everything but armor (best you can hope for is immobilization unless they do something really stupid). I rarely grab RR's, they just arent worth it IMHO.

------------------

Veni, vidi, panzerschrecki

If find good points for recoilless rifles as follows:

1. Great range.

2. Halftracks are dead if hit.

3. Can move more easily (via vehicle) than a gun usually.

4. Can also usually fight decently as a flanking gun on infantry. (At least it worked for me with the HE rounds they carry)

5. If you do wait until the armor is close enough or until it turns its flank on you, you've got an OK chance of killing it.