Mac System requirements?

Guest G2A

Guest G2A

What are some realistic requirements for CM on a mac? It's painfully slow, and unplayable with sound, on my system:

603e/200

80 MB

8MB Voodoo 1

playing in 800x600. 640x480 crashes.

This clearly meets the official requirements, is the game supposed to be really slow?

I have 603ev/250 Mhz

96 MB

12 MB Voodoo 2

playing in 800 x 600 because 640 x 480 is too small and 1024 x 768 is unsupported by V2.

The game is usually very smooth. Obviously the image quality is not amazing but thats the V2 for you. It only slows down when there's LOADS of fire and smoke on the screen. I really wanna get either a new video card or put a G3 processor into this machine and I'm sure CM will look great.

I think your system is a minimum system. I'd say an average system would be:

300 Mhz G3

64 MB RAM

16 MB Video Card

800 x 600+

That would be a good system and would probably handle CM2 fairly well also.

For the guy that started this thread I would suggest that a better video card be the first thing you add in. It's usually very cost effective (V3 or V2 in a pinch) and adds a lot of functionality to your system. The next bottleneck is obviously the processor which if upgraded to a G3 would actually be able to feed your new video card.

------------------

Visit my webpage!

http://cm4mac.tripod.com

[This message has been edited by Colin (edited 05-08-2000).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G2A:

603e/200

80 MB

8MB Voodoo 1

playing in 800x600. 640x480 crashes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly what kind of machine is it? You can check at www.maccpu.com whether you can get a processor upgrade. They are very friendly, just email them if your machine is not on the list. Tell them I say hi smile.gif

I had a 4400 upgraded to G3/300 112MB RAM and no video upgrade. That was minimum. The camera was jerky, texture very grainy. Game ran fast, b/c the proseccor upgrade was really good. The company that made them has gone out of business, but I know a place in Germany where you could get them cheaply (DM700 thereabouts) two weeks ago. I think your processor might be too slow, while video should be okay. My other system is an iMac DV SE G3/400 128MB, ATI-Rage 128 8MB VM. The beta demo runs very very well, and very fast, and the game does not slow down no matter how much hardware is on the map and how many bullets fly. Hope that helped, let me know if you need any more help.

------------------

Andreas

Guest G2A

Well, I've been thinking about a G3 for my 4400, but what would be the best upgrade for CM? I don't mind waiting a while between turns, it's the frame rate that's bothering me.

What does CM need most, fast CPU or good 3D card?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G2A:

Well, I've been thinking about a G3 for my 4400, but what would be the best upgrade for CM? I don't mind waiting a while between turns, it's the frame rate that's bothering me.

What does CM need most, fast CPU or good 3D card?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, the 4400 a great machine. I am still wondering whether I sold the right one. Should have kept the 4400. Definitely go for the processor upgrade. You will be blown away by the difference. While your video is not perfect, at the level you are at, the processor is probably more important.

Here is the link to the German company selling the upgrade card. http://www.sendamac.de/cgi-bin/WebObjects/SamStore.woa/wo/4XpAo1PgomGa3Nh0qg/2.1.7.1.1.1 Unfortunately they no longer have the excellent Phase 5 upgrade, you will have to go for the Sonnet now. The price is quite good, I think, but I have not checked extensively. If you send them an email in English, to sales@sendamac.de they should be able to deal with it. Add DM 30-40,- for shipping it to Sweden. They are a good outfit to buy from, and the cheapest in Germany.

------------------

Andreas

Guest Captain Manieri

Dudes, it's simple. Just try to run the demo on your comp. If it ****s up, than I guess the REAL game itself won't work on there.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Manieri:

Dudes, it's simple. Just try to run the demo on your comp. If it ****s up, than I guess the REAL game itself won't work on there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Err, according to some statement by someone somehow linked to the game, the reverse of your statement unfortunately isn't necessarily true, since the full game will need more oommphhh than the demo. Which makes it more complicated, unless you are talking about the Gold demo of course.

------------------

Andreas

I play the beta on a Gen One iMac (233 MHz G3, with 64 MB RAM, 2 MB VRAM (ATI Rage Pro, I think)). I run it with full sound, but so far, I haven't tried adding new textures or other add-ons.

The only time I run into problems is when it's late in the game and there's a lot going on graphically--multiple vehicles burning, a field afire, numerous craters, rubbled buildings. That's when it gets downright slow, taking several minutes to compute the next turn.

For a few weeks I had a 350 MHz iMac loaner with 64 MB and a 4 MB video card. It was faster, and I think the graphics were clearer as well. The built-in speakers were an order of magnitude better than what I have now.

Basically, though, my present rig gets the job done. Whether it'll hack all-up CM remains to be seen.

Hope this helps.

John Kettler

Guest GriffinCheng

My PowerBook G3-400/64MB RAM arrived last Friday. Played couple of CE turns on it with Username via PBEM, wow, it is even smoother than my P2-450 w/ GeForce 256 DDR! Both in 1024x768!

Just then my boss stops by and says "Mac, humm, great for gaming, right?" Maybe he has seen me doing CM during lunch time. biggrin.gif

Griffin late @ work

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng (edited 05-09-2000).]

I can't address the original question specifically but can tell you what I've discovered on the Macs I use.

FYI, I started running the beta demo on a G-3 at work. The graphics were OK but I ran into slowdowns as the games went on. Curiously the beta ran better on a G-3 Powerbook.

Recently I upgraded at home to a 400 Mhz G-4. What a difference! Graphics look much better and the beta runs great. In fact, the G-4 runs so fast that it makes many older games such as CC1 almost unplayable.

Good luck with your upgrades!