Returning player from CMBO|Shock Force 2 is cool|especially with camera control

Since COVID quarantines began, I've gotten interested in wargames again, remembering my dad playing them on the dining room table on weekends (he and his friends played Tobruk, for example). Saw lots of interesting stuff, but not much for a Mac.

Then I rediscovered Combat Mission after reading reviews on sites like wargamer.com. I had one of their games years ago, called Beyond Overlord, I think? I recognize the visual style and turn-based format.

While playing the demo, I felt like this was the best kind of wargame for me, a lot like the old bookcase wargames. I'm having a lot of fun trying to learn my way through it. I was never good at wargames, but I like 'em anyway. So I'm glad for eye candy and cool sounds, and I really, really like being able to play back the turn again and again, looking at it from different angles. I wish I could save the whole battle, when it's over, and get one huge replay file of the whole thing.

That's probably my favorite part, the ability to rewind time and see what happened from almost any viewpoint... so I dug out a USB controller that's made for video editing (mostly), a Contour Shuttle Pro, and set it up for CMSF2. Now that I can turn, pan and zoom the view more easily, I am enjoying the game even more. I'm liking the real-time based option, too, but mostly turn-based. I am enjoying YouTubes by Usually Hapless. Amazed at the details and the activities of all my hapless pixeltruppen.