Defending Against Computer AI Attack

I was just wondering how other players are faring againt the computer AI while it is on the attack. I've read just about all the stellar reviews and if there is one minor thing that is consistently mentioned, it is that the computer is much better on defense and is rather reckless on offense. This is true of most computer wargames.

I set up several quick battles and put the computer on offense and tried to see what would happen at normal settings. Several times I decimated the attacker. Of course, tweaking with the advantage or computer experience settings helped to turn the tide against me. But the abnormal damage my troops appeared to suffer didn't seem realistic.

What are the best scenarios where the computer is the attacker and resulted in very good/difficult games at normal settings and equal strengths?

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KNIL:

But the abnormal damage my troops appeared to suffer didn't seem realistic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of curiosity, do you mean abnormally large or abnormally small?

Michael

i noticed also, that in quick battles the AI often "rushes" to my flags. Especially with infantry. On the other side, in most cases this was the only change they had (depending on the landscape).

In DYO-Scenarios i´m very satisfied with the AI.

A very fine game!

Greetings

Jochen

Actually, I find the AI to be a pretty good attacker. It tends to concentrate on one area of my defensive line, supressing my infantry and MG's, and using cover pretty effectively.

Last night, I managed to stop the AI cold, but it was in heavy fog, town, and 1000pts. I was able to concentrate MG's across a courtyard and annihilate the supporting Halftracks & tanks with my own Hetzers.

The AI did make use of smoke and such, but I had too much firepower concentrated in such a small area that even 2x the number of attackers wouldn't have made a difference.

The final tally was 5 defender losses (mine) vs. 165 attacker losses (his).

I think the AI is a bit too aggressive.. it tends to move up assault troops before the support teams have done an adequate job supressing the defenses. And it doesn't know when to quit... how often have you seen seen some poor decimated plt hq making a final suicide charge on your positions? Also, I think the AI is vulnerable to bunching up, especially in maps with somewhat sparse cover. A little artillery can really do massive damage when theres a whole coy in one stand of scattered trees.

Not that I mean to know it.. it still does a much better job than most anything else out there, escpecially considering that it isn't scripted.

On a related note, has anyone seen the AI do a rear slope type of defense? I've noticed with town DYOs that it tends to setup a bit too far forward, rather than hidden in the town center.

Chris

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CRourke:

On a related note, has anyone seen the AI do a rear slope type of defense? I've noticed with town DYOs that it tends to setup a bit too far forward, rather than hidden in the town center.

Chris<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

**SPOILER WARNING**

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

V

The battle scenario Jabos, at least in the default set-up, has the Germans begin in a reverse slope defense. Watch out!

Michael

This is almost exactly what I noticed in my Quick Battle scenarios.

Originally posted by CRourke:

I think the AI is a bit too aggressive.. it tends to move up assault troops before the support teams have done an adequate job supressing the defenses. And it doesn't know when to quit... how often have you seen seen some poor decimated plt hq making a final suicide charge on your positions? Also, I think the AI is vulnerable to bunching up, especially in maps with somewhat sparse cover. A little artillery can really do massive damage when theres a whole coy in one stand of scattered trees.