Virus Downloaded From This Board???

About a week or so, I checked out a thread here, which linked to a Gamespot survey of the top 40 games, posted by Spook "Ok stormtroopers, another survey...", and now something very weird is lurking on my hard drive.

I have the following folders: c:\program files\TimeSink\AdGateway\Ads\2301\... installed and I cannot remove the 2301 folder which apparently occupies 2,600,000,000,000,000 bytes of memory!!! This does not show up on c:\ properties as a problem, but when I "find file", it stalls on this folder. There is about a thousand folders with greek looking charachter names in the 2301 folder. None can be deleted. ("Cannot delete file: file system error 1026").

Anyway, I tracked the problem back to this board, because doing a search on the internet connected TimeSink to Gamespot, and I linked Gamespot is right here last week, and also before to look at the 9.1 review (well done BTS wink.gif ). I don't recall ever linking to Gamespot other than that.

I wonder if anybody else linking to Gamespot from this board also has the same mystery files on their hard drives?

Can anybody help me?

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 07-15-2000).]

Guest ACTOR

I went there as well, and I did not have that problem. I searched my system and did not find that directory.

Sounds like timesink is some sort of Advatising software that got onto your PC. I remember reading about some other ad software that would slow down your CPU when it connected to net for updates and such.

Try this:

1. do alt+ctrl+del and see what processes are running.

aside from systray and explorer you shouldn't have much else. Anything with word AD or timesink is probably a source of yuer problem. Select it and hit end task.

2. try deleting then. Try doing it old fashioned way wink.gif

Go to MS-DOS prompt.

change dirextory ( cd progr* ) to program files

do "deltree TimeSink" and then confirm by hitting Y for yes.

be very sure you are in right directory. This cannot be reversed by recycling bin !!!

3. If still shot - try doing full blown defrag and scandisk.

Then i would go lurking in registry fo rthing.. but first try things above and let us know if it helped.

BTW, i went to that link too, it didn't install anything.

What other software did you install recently ?

Hope this helps.

fd

Thanks for the useful advice fd ski.

Deleting the files in ms/dos did not work, so I ran ScanDisk and then Norton Disk Doctor, and it repaired all the files, and then I could delete them.

Hopefully I've seen the last of that!

Hundminen

Guest morjit

Do you have Cute FTP on your computer? I've got the same timesink dir. after taking a good look at it, it seems to be connected with Cute FTP.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hundminen:

Thanks for the useful advice fd ski.

Deleting the files in ms/dos did not work, so I ran ScanDisk and then Norton Disk Doctor, and it repaired all the files, and then I could delete them.

Hopefully I've seen the last of that!

Hundminen

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by morjit (edited 07-16-2000).]

Guest morjit

No mine's around 1mb. Cute FTP shows add's until it's registered, and one of the folders in the timesink dir. is called Cute FTP. So I'm sure that's where mine's coming from, but if you've never had Cute FTP or any other products by them I'm not sure where your's came from. frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hundminen:

No I don't have the Cute FTP.

Is the size of your TimeSink also in the gazillions of bytes?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>