Company/Battalion HQ's - What Are They Good For? (And other stupid questions)

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what purpose do non-platoon HQ's serve? If they provide additional benefits to squads within C&C of their own platoon HQ's, then how do I know? There is no black or maroon C&C tentacles to units already in C&C.

Also, is it possible to issue a target command to a unit not currently in LOS of the target, and also issue a move command, so when the unit reaches LOS of the target, it can begin firing at it during the same turn? I tried this a few times, but it doesn't seem to work.

I remember seeing somewhere an ARTY command

to adjust the target location, which I suppose would be really usefull if you are trying to keep smoke on a moving Panther, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Am I imagining things?

Can't think of any more stupid questions right now, but I'm sure to have more later.

Hundminen

Guest Pham

You can issue the target command, but from my experience the troops won't keep the out of sight enemy as a target once the turn starts.

With the artillery adjust, just target like you would normally and you'll see a green line with the words "adjust fire" at the end of the line. When you move it beyond a certain radius it will change back to the normal fire line and is no longer considered an adjustment.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hundminen:

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but what purpose do non-platoon HQ's serve? If they provide additional benefits to squads within C&C of their own platoon HQ's, then how do I know?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've been wondering about this, myself.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Also, is it possible to issue a target command to a unit not currently in LOS of the target, and also issue a move command, so when the unit reaches LOS of the target, it can begin firing at it during the same turn? I tried this a few times, but it doesn't seem to work.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I thought it did, unless those units that didn't have LOS originally found a better target to fire at other than than one you targeted.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I remember seeing somewhere an ARTY command to adjust the target location, which I suppose would be really usefull if you are trying to keep smoke on a moving Panther, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Am I imagining things?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it doesn't quite work like that. When you "adjust" the off-board Arty target by choosing a different target location, before hitting the "Cancel Target" order, then here's what happens. By hitting the Target order again to "shift" fire, there will still be a firing delay as the off-board battery re-acquires the targeting co-ordinates. It just won't be as long as the original delay. It also depends on how far away the new targeting point is from the original point.

So if you want to follow a Panther and continue to lay smoke, just hit the Target order again, but the new arty shells won't arrive for a few seconds or more later.

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Guest Big Time Software

Hey there,

Some quick answeres:

1. Use them as roving morale boosters and/or Command and Control coordinator for rear units. They can also take command of HQ less squads. When you think about, this is exactly what they did smile.gif

In VT I used the German COHQ unit to rally a bunch of shattered guys that ran away after getting hit by 105s. I ran him over to the guys running away, calmed them down, then bolted to go rally someone else. After that I brought all the stragglers together and kept them under the control of the COHQ. It is the *only* thing that kept me in possession of the Major Victory Location, so their importance is huge if used correctly.

2. The target designation will "stick", but not for long. Note that FOs do not behave the same way. You can target and then move into LOS without the order going away.

3. OB&G hit that nail on the head smile.gif

Steve

So then Company and Battalion HQ's are really like reserve platoon HQ's, adopting teams and squads with deceased platoon HQ's?

Is there any reason/benefit to keep the non-platoon HQ up front in close contact to the platoon HQ's?

[This message has been edited by Hundminen (edited 05-13-2000).]

I treat my HQs just like i treat all symbols of authority, I charge them across open ground in the face of massed tank, arty, and MG fire.

Afterall, they Have to show the green troops how it's done! Right?

wink.gif

------------------

"I do like to see the arms and legs fly"

One more stupid question re LOS:

Is there any way to check LOS from a position that I currently do not occupy?

For example, I am moving my Sherman to a position behind a house, with LOS to a wooden bunker I want to attack, but barely out of LOS of pillbox with AT gun which is adjacent to the first bunker. I want to be sure of LOS before moving there.

Guest Big Time Software

Fionn is correct. Only downside is that you lose the extra control in the rear AND you of course risk getting the HQ greased (and that is expensive smile.gif).

One thing I have done is, with smaller groups, used a Company HQ to break up a reinforced platoon into two parts. You can do something like charge forward with 1/2 (say the Platoon HQ and one squad) and have the CO HQ getting ready to bark out orders for the other units to move up right away once the advace units get into position. Or another one I did once was to split the force up into two in order to do a pincer attack in Heavy Woods.

In short, there are all sorts of great, and realistic, things you can do with CO/BN headquarters units. Personally, I try to keep them on the edge of harms way to keep order in the rear and to act as a rallying point. Saved my ass more than a few times!

Steve

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MantaRay:

Steve, you have now said twice that OBG was right...now watch him get a big old noggin. biggrin.gif

Ray

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well now, when you all learn that I am always right, then there will be no more problems. wink.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

LOL!! Remember it's that Genius level I talked about earlier. Note-"mch's" signature. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Whoops, I'd better stop, my head is about to POP! smile.gifbiggrin.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Thanks guys for the insight on the uses of BN/CO HQs. I kinda thought that they could be used like that, but wasn't really sure if that use was coded into the game.

------------------

"Why don't we say that we took this one chance, and fought!"

"Stupid humans. Hahahahahahaha!"

--from the film Battlefield Earth

Another thing the HQ's are good for is controlling support weapons. I sometimes like to put all my mg's together under control of one of the spare HQ's. Works well for mortars and AT guns too. Also, when I'm running my infantry forward, I like to keep a HQ back with the slower support weapons, so there are no delays. This all came up before, with a lot of good suggestions -- do a search.

One good idea that someone had was to make a reserve platoon. Detach a squad from each platoon and put them together under one of the spare HQ's. Instant reserve!

-- Mike Zeares

Guest Madmatt

Well, usually while I am busy smushing Fionn's face in during PBEM battles, I like to have my Bn/Co HQ's sit back and roast Smoores over a campfire!

Mmmmmmm Chocolate... biggrin.gif

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

> Afterall, they Have to show the green

> troops how it's done! Right?

It's funny that you say this - it seems to actually be working that way. Have you ever noticed that if you give orders to an entire Green or Conscript platoon to run into the open, the squads will sort of sit there until they see the HQ unit set out and actually make some headway and then they seem to all get off their butts as if they are saying "OK, maybe we _can_ do this!" and start executing their orders. Very nice! I never noticed this as much in the Beta.

| use the experienced Cpy and Batllaion HW units to backup the platoon commands of the less experienced Green units. It definitely seems to have an effect keeping those units in line.

p.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Zeares:

Another thing the HQ's are good for is controlling support weapons<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...including keeping them from firing prematurely. If you issue the Hide command, some MGs and mortars will blow it by targeting and firing on their own. A local HQ seems to prevent this.

Peter,

What you describe is the need to "babysit" green units and commit a disproportionate numver of HQs to keep a green unit in the line and fighting.

It's exactly what happened in real life and is a nice side-effect of CM's morale, command and control modelling.