Air support in operations?

I did a search on this (ooooh!) and i found nothing that answeres my question, wich is:

Does air support work in operations?

I have recently done 2 Ops with air support. Not once did the air support show up. Very annoying. I have tweaked the scenarios in all the ways i can think of: starting on battle 2(mid-day), good weather, elite air-support, you name it. Never seen a plane... (not that you actually see the plane, but you get my drift.)

Anyone got an answer to this?

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.

As I understand it, purchase of Air Support gives you the random chance a fighterbomber will actually wander past when you need it. (where it could attack you or the badguys.) However, the RAF pioneered the use of actual air support spotters on the ground, controlling 'cab ranks' of (usually) 4 Typhoons. (don't know if the Yanks eventually did this, or stayed with their 'rove and destroy' ops for the duration) I think this would be an improvement in realism, and reduce the randomness of air support (for the Commonwealth anyway). Perhaps the randomness could be augmented by points spent? (Few points for a 'shot in the dark' at getting some, or spend more points to give yourself a better chance that they'll come and help.) In any event, RAF spotters would be realistic, less so for small battles, but definitely for operations or battalion sized actions.

Actually Air support buys you a unit (ie aircraft) that roams the sky shooting targets at will, with you having no control whatsoever over it. and although it says in the manual that it may not appear at all, it still seems strange that not ONCE did it appear in the Operations. I played them at least 5 times each. and never did it appear.

I have to note tho that i didnt play for more than 2 battles as the scenario is not ment to be played against the AI and so does not work well with the ai as opponent

------------------

At what point did you have the planes entering the battle?

They seem to work better as reinforcements then if you start the battle off with them *on-map* so to speak.

Madmatt

Yes I have seen and been subjected to air support in an operation. It is random whether the plane will even show up or not, it isn't like it is loitering over your battlefield waiting to engage. It is 'purchased' but there is no guarantee you'll ever see it. Perhaps just bad luck in your case, keep playing, I'm positive you'll see one.

Edit: never mind, Madmatt added what I forgot.

[This message has been edited by JoePrivate (edited 09-25-2000).]

The great Madmatt replied to a topic i posted? I am honoured. wink.gif

I think im gonna try adding the Air support as reinforcement for battle 2 and make the first one a dawn fight as was first intended.

One more question tho... Do you keep the air support for the entire operation once you get them as reinforcements or do i have to add them to every mid-day fight?

Thanx for your answers... all of you... youre the greatest bunch of guys (and gals biggrin.gif) out there...

------------------

I tried it out and it worked like a charm...

my green fighter-bomber came in turn 6 battle 2 and promptly got shot down biggrin.gif.

if the weather is bad when the reinforcements are supposed to arrive will you get the fighters in the next battle instead? (if the weather is clear of course)

------------------