REAL WAR STORIES -- SOMEWHAT GRAPHIC

There's another string with this title, but most of the stories there are amusing. This has a little different tone, so I thought I would start it.

My father was an ordinary rifleman in the 1st Cavalry Division, and was wounded twice. He told me this story this story during Thanksgiving, three years ago, the year before his death of cancer.

As we were eating our dinner, my dad, who didn't talk about the war much, suddenly looked straight ahead during dinner. I asked him what was wrong. My wife and mother stared at him.

He said that he was thinking of one day when he had a hot turkey dinner in November, 1951. He said he had been on the line for weeks, and it was first hot meal. He got his food, and sat down heavily with the rest of the guys in his platoon (there were only about 8 or so left), ate their meal. One of the guys, called "Negro Joe", said "Hey Mike, there's a gift for you under that the tarp over there." My dad, being naive and only about 20 years old, lifted up the tarp, and saw the mangled body parts of dead G.I.s. He then hit "Negro Joe" over the head with his mess kit, and everyone had a good laugh.

Then, the platoon sargeant came up and ordered them all back on the perimeter for the evening. There was lots of Chinese activity again, so they went up. A cold night passed. Just before the sun came up, they heard chatter and "gook talk" coming close to the wire. One of the corporals, or whoever was in charge, said wait until they get about 30 yards away, and let 'em have it.

They let 'em have it. My dad was behind a thirty cal, and he said he blew off hundreds of rounds. Then there was silence. About an hour later, my dad said, the sun came up.

"Then" my dad said, "we found out we killed our own guys". He began crying, we put our forks down. "Eight of our own guys". He left the table.

My dad passed away two years ago, buried with full military honors in a rather humble cemetary in San Diego. I am ashamed to say that it was only this year I went to my first memorial day service.

Frank

Stories like that make your realize that war is no game, and that it leaves deep scars.

My Great Uncle was a dutch immigrant, and he was drafted, and became a tank driver for the U.S. in WWII. When he was sleeping, a german snuck into his tent and killed his best friend. He then fought hand to hand with the German, and killed him. He suffered from PTSD the rest of his life from his experiences in the war.

I have a friend who was a Helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He said one time when they were taking a South Vietnamese platoon out to a certain place to patrol. When it came time for them to jump out of the helicopter, all but one did. Helicopters don't say on the ground long in Vietnam and so if you don't go you don't go. They flew him back to the base and bought the guy a beer telling him "Your buddies are gonna kick the **** outta you when they get back!" He didn't speak English but knew what they were saying. So they fly out and pick up his buddies who come back with leeches all over them. He said you could tell they were pissed. They were gonna drop them again at another location. When they got there they all jump except for the same dude. The door gunner was yell "HE DIDN"T JUMP< HE DIDN"T JUMP!" So, they take off again, and at 90ft, the guy jumps out of the helicopter. My friend said when they got back to pick him up, his foot had been nearly ripped off.

He also said that across the border from his base (sorry I don't know ALL about Vietnam so I can't tell you where) there was a 25,000 man strong NVA base. They used to fly their helicopters on their tails, and then fire rockets at it. Sort of arc em over their. The Gooks would then start firing 20mm AAA at em. But, both side was too far away to do anything. They just did it becuase it pissed off the NVA so much! Or so they thought.

Guest Rollstoy

From another thread: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Do it Captain, you owe your country this favor!!! Don't hesitate, ENLIST NOW!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The story above should make you think if you want to volunteer for something ultimately aimed at killing people.