Possible "bug"/inconsistency within PBEM play

Hi everyone!

This topic relates to a possible "bug" and/or inconsistency I've found within a recent PBEM game. This bug relates to the artillery rounds that fall AFTER the 60-second timer has stopped, but as the movie "continues to play." Everyone still with me??

I understand that the turn at this point is effectively "over," and that these rounds are just the last ones from a barrage fired during the turn.

So it makes sense that they can continue to cause casualties, doesn't it? And they do, in both play versus the AI and in PBEM. BUT, it does NOT work flawlessly in the latter of the two cases.

In this PBEM game I played, 7 men I had were crawling through some trees. They stopped as the counter hit 60-seconds, and artillery continued to fall down for a few more seconds as the turn was resolved. One of these rounds, falling after the 60-second timer had expired, hit my squad of men, and caused two casualties. My seven man squad has now been reduced by two. "Fine," I think, "I can live with that." So I run through the movie again, and watch the action elsewhere. This time I hit the PAUSE button when the timer hits 60-seconds, and do not wait for the artillery rounds to continue falling, as I am uninterested in seeing them again.

Assuming, that I've seen everything I need to see in the movie, I hit the go button, and am now able to issue my orders for the next turn. I click on the infantry squad that had taken two casualties from the artillery round the previous turn, and low-and-behold, they once again have seven men!!!

This happened because I hit the GO button after the 60 seconds had run out, but BEFORE the artillery rounds had landed. Therefore, those infantry casualties were NOT accounted for the next turn. Intrigued, I tested this a few more times on this same file. If I hit the GO button before the artillery round fell, the casualties did NOT happen. If I waited to hit go until AFTER the rounds had fallen, I started the next turn with a five man squad, minus the two casualties from the artillery shell. Needless to say, I continued my game with these, the CORRECT, results.

Also of note, this only seems to affect PBEM play. I have been unable to reproduce these results against the AI, as the casualties are always accounted for.

Was this an isolated incident, or can any of you also reproduce these results within a PBEM game? Perhaps, I was the only one to realize this, and just let a fat cat out of the bag!! Sorry! I'm sure no one will use this to cheat, though hopefully a fix can easily be patched in.

Any comments??

Thanks,

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mother Theresa:

The real question is are they still a 7 man squad at the start of the next movie, or is it now a 5 mand squad again. They casualties might be accounted for, but not displayed when you hit the go button.

MT<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, at the start of the next turn, movie, and so on they were still a seven-man squad. I'm thinking about sending the file into BTS...but not sure if they will care or not.

-Jim

Truk, I don't think the issue is that rounds keep falling after the timer stops, but that you can resurrect some of your men by hitting go before the "after-the-timer" rounds fall. Definitely a bug in my opinion!

Good catch, Jim.

MT

------------------

"Gun damaged are rare on Shermans because they die like red shirts on Star Trek" - Slapdragon

[This message has been edited by Mannheim Tanker (edited 10-07-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Basebal351,

Please forward that file and password to me if you still have it. Please also indicate what Unit I should be paying attention to.

I would like to have a look at this.

Thanks!

Madmatt