Qustions re: Tanks vs. Assault Guns vs. Self-Propelled Guns vs. Tank Destroyers

As a relative newbie to CM (one of the best games I’ve ever played!), I’m still learning the ropes when it comes to using the many different units in their most suitable role, particularly armored units.

Can anyone clarify for the me the basic distinctions between tanks, assault guns, self-propelled artillery, and tank destroyers? What would be the most effective use of each type of unit? What are the vulnerabilities of each? When should I be purchasing a tank as opposed to an assault gun, and so on?

I know this may be a topic worthier of a dissertation than a forum post, but any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance………….

They have distinct differences, even betwhen countrys. But in general a tank is a for its class heavy armored turreted vehicle with a main gun that is designed to fire a round that should defeat a equal class armored vehicle.

Assault Guns are ussuly non turreted armored vehicles that utilize larger caliper, less accurate guns that are suited more for quick infantry and bunker busting support

Selfpropelled Artillery is a armored vehicle that mounts a artillery barrel desigend to fire in a higher arc to allow depolyment of artillery. Mainle to keep up with the rapid moving tank and infantry forces

A Tank Destroyer is generaly a special vehicle that has had some comprimices in production such as skipping the turret, or reducing armor or forgetting the armor on the turret top all together to allow cheeper production. It is generly mounted with a capable anti tank type gun. Some of these types blend a bit together and some people would and will argue that this or that vehicle fits in two categories.

Assault Guns and Tank Destroyers can look very similar, and are really only seperated by the type of gun they mount. If the gun is a larger shorter barrel then it is considered a assault gun, if the barrel is longer and allowes firing of high velocity rounds then it is considered a Tank Destroyer.

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JessRobinson:

... clarify for the me the basic distinctions between tanks, assault guns, self-propelled artillery, and tank destroyers?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I'll do some short explanation here, if you want more please mail me off board. smile.gif

Tanks:

Multipurpose AFV with fairly heavy armour, usually designed to lead a break through and exploit the enemy rear. Allied tanks were originally not meant to fight other tanks, but concentrate on soft targets. Later on they got better guns and could engage in tank vs tank combat.

Self propelled artillery:

Actually a collective name for any heavy weapon on a motorised mount, such as assault guns, tank destroyers, SPAA, etc.

Usually used only for regular artillery units though, such as howitsers on tracks.

As such these are designed to be rear area IF weapons with some protection against shrapnel and small arms fire.

Assault guns (and infantry tanks):

These are infantry support weapons, sporting fair armour and a large calibre gun. Assault guns usually don't have a turret.

Tank destroyers:

Self propelled ATGs, with or without turret. Designed to fight enemy armour from ambush positions and then retreat to a new position. Generally weaker armour and better guns than tanks have. Some late war German TDs were as good as tanks though.

Use in CM:

Tanks:

General purpose AFV, use where needed.

SPA:

On map as heavy direct fire support from somewhat protected positions in the rear.

Off map represented by artillery spotters.

Assault guns:

Like tanks for infantry divisions. Fairly up front.

Tank destroyers:

Sprint up to an ambush position, then wait for the enemies to approach.

Cheers

Olle

First, a quick "glossary" as I define it...

TANK: in CM terms, a tracked armored fighting vehicle (AFV) with its main armanent (MA) mounted in a rotatable turret. (The turret is usually enclosed too.) The MA could be small arms (like the MG's of an early-war PzKw I), or more likely an ordnance gun for the 1944-45 tanks of CMBO.

ASSAULT GUN (Alternately self-propelled gun): an armored vehicle with an ordnance MA, but with no turret. As such, the vehicle must point in the general direction where it wishes to fire. Less flexible than a tank, but usually with a lower target profile too. In 1944-45, the load of HE and anti-tank ammo is closely balanced to allow engagement against either armor or infantry.

SELF-PROPELLED ARTILLERY: As it says. Typical mission of SPA was to fire indirect, but SPA in CM games can't be used this way. So in a CM game, a SPA vehicle that shows up is often used as an assault gun. But ammo load leans to HE (with a little special ammo), and SPA's are usually open-topped and with thin armor. As such, using these in close engagements or against armor isn't a good idea.

TANK DESTROYER: As the name suggests, the primary mission is to destroy enemy armor, but TD's often have enough HE ammo to also engage infantry too (thus being very similar to assault guns in function), although MG armanent can often be lacking. Most WW2 TD's are non-turreted, but the US has several TD's with open-topped turrets. The armor of TD's is quite mixed. Some can be thin-armored (so to improve the TD's mobility), while others can be quite thick-armored, like the Jagdpanther or Jagdtiger. A good use of the thin-skinned TD's is as defensive ambush weapons.

And which to buy? That depends on your mission, what you want to do with your vehicles, and the point cost per vehicle. Tanks have the best overall flexibility, but it you are on defense and the enemy is VERY limited in maneuver routes, perhaps a TD might be better. And assault guns MIGHT be a better bargain as a German player, if you are looking to get extra vehicles. SPA's are useful only if you know that your opposition is lacking in armor (but he still call artillery on top of it also!!)