2 Features I'd like to see if possible

If/when possible I'd like to see these 2 added:

1 - The option during Quick Battle generation setup to allow you to view the map before you go to the unit purchase menu - call it recon/aerial pictures etc.

2 - Allow the AI to purchase enemy forces for quick generated operations in the mission editor based on some parameters set during the op creation. Basically would be a like quick battle generation but for ops.

Reg's

Fen

Still having fun

Guest Scott Clinton

Much more important IMO the option for a random map. I.E. allow the PC to pick the map parameters as well as generate the map.

This would seem to be a fairly easy addition IMO and would go a long, long way toward correcting the imbalance in regards Germans troops.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pedro:

I'd like a feature that would show the best places on the map for hull down in realation to enemy units on the map.

Pete

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not gonna happen for the same reqason why you can't check LOS from any place other than a unit. BTS reasoning - you would know too much.

Scott,

So basically you want a RANDOM, random map generator. That shouldn't be too hard to implement, indeed.

But for someone that really doesn't play a whole lot of Quick Battles, I can't really say one way or another. I tend to play ready-made scenarios, mainly because I hate setting up my forces from that single line of deployment along the map edge. wink.giftongue.gif

------------------

"We're not gonna just shoot the bastards`, we're gonna cut out their living guts, and use them to grease the treads of our tanks."

"We're going to murder those lousey hun bastards by the buschel."

"The Nazis are the enemy, wade into them,

spill their blood, shoot them in the belly."

"We are not holding our position, let the hun do that."

"We are advancing constantly, we are not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy."

"We're gonna hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass."

"We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose."--George S. Patton

Guest Scott Clinton

Indeed Maximus, I do.

I can see your point with canned scenarios. But I really like the fog of war aspect involved in not knowing what I face beforehand.

I am tired of playing QB games where both players know with 100% certainty that the map will be "heavy woods" or "urban" so the Germans take hordes of SMG squads...or they know the map will be "light woods" and the Germans stoke up on heavy armor or tank destroyers.

Come'on everybody admit it! When you know that the map is going to heavy woods and you are playing Germans on the defense you take a loooong hard look at those SMG squads. Whereas if the QB is an open map you would not even seriously consider SMG squads. The US, British, Polish, etc. do not have this luxury now do they? And to make it worse, this same logic extends to German armor.

One of the Germans greatest weaknesses in WW2 was that of not having uniform weapons and equipment. Well in a CM QB with 100% foreknowledge of terrain it becomes one of the German's greatest strengths. And this is something that the uber-German players who always want to play Germans don't want you to know.

The fact is: In reality a commander could not pick and choose his units to deploy like this. At least not for every 20-30 minute skirmish that CM represents that is for sure.

This is easily solved by instituting a random map generator...

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

You just have to resist the temptation sometimes and test yourself with what the Germans would have really had. Platoons didn't consist of just SMG squads, so even if fighting in the woodlands try to keep the realism. If BTS have gone to all the trouble of producing the most realistic war game ever then why spoil that by using unreal unit selection. If you find your opponent is doing this then don't play him again. CM gives you the opportunity to get into the shoes of a company commander for real (very nearly). Yes they might have wanted SMG's and King Tigers but they were losing the industrial battle and just couldn't produce them. If you're good then test yourselves!

Tuppence worth

Guest Offwhite

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scott Clinton:

The fact is: In reality a commander could not pick and choose his units to deploy like this. At least not for every 20-30 minute skirmish that CM represents that is for sure.

This is easily solved by instituting a random map generator...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it more easily solved by using the existing random-purchase option?

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pedro:

I'd like a feature that would show the best places on the map for hull down in realation to enemy units on the map.

Pete

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Simply impossible even if they wanted to - think about it.

Hint: you can only be hull-down in relation to another spot.

I like the idea for a random map to a degree (it would be equally unrealistic to have an armour battle in a randomly generated Huertgen Wald as it currently is to allow the players to buy units based on their knowledge of the maps). You could find yourself with a totally unplayable force, and that would not help in any way either.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 12-13-2000).]