Suggestion: Indication of ETC for move orders

Wouldn't it be great when you plot your orders for a move to know the approximate time of completion for each leg?

Something along the lines of the distance indicator that pops on the los tool, but instead displaying time for e.g. a HUNT command for a King Tiger. Wouldn't that be cool?

You would, for instance know more or less where your tank will be when the 1min round expires, so they can drop your infantry in place, or peek around a corner, or stop before the crest.

I could do the same using a calculator, distance and vehicle speed, but it kinda beats the purpose of using a computer. Also,it doesn't work if a squad is tired or weary.

It is not micromanagement, since all you get is info not guarantees that the vehicle will get there on time, e.g. it may face a threat and stop, or there could be command delays.

I know that that there are the command delays, and I know that the tank might stop cold in its tracks because of a threat and all that.

I just thought it would be a cool addition, even if for CM2, which will help plan better... smile.gif

Take cover.

CoralSaw

This was considered and intentionally left out. The reasoning was that it would make it too easy to perfectly coordinate a timed attack (have all your vehicles crest the hill at exactly the same moment, or whatever) which in reality was a very difficult thing to do.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Offwhite

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

I would rather see distance displayed when issuing move commands just like with the LOS tool.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A fantastic idea. Granted, you can pretty easily switch between LOS tool and movement commands using the hotkeys, but this would streamline the process nicely.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.Tankersley:

This was considered and intentionally left out. The reasoning was that it would make it too easy to perfectly coordinate a timed attack (have all your vehicles crest the hill at exactly the same moment, or whatever) which in reality was a very difficult thing to do.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not sure if you would be able to do that LT. Isn't there a C&C delay with tanks as with infantry? If not, maybe there should be a random C&C element even for vehicles, the rationale being that no 2 crews are of the same quality.

On the contrary, I think that besides enhancing gameplay, the move time info would be more realistic, as from experience each commander should know approximately how long it would take them per leg (in los) moving fast, or hunting.

ETC and distance give similar info IMO, albeit in different units.

C0ralSaw

------------------

---

The best things in life are sniped at...

[This message has been edited by coralsaw (edited 09-15-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>the move time info would be more realistic, as from experience each commander should know approximately how long it would take them per leg (in los) moving fast, or hunting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how that is possible. Like I said in my previous post, in order for someone to know how long it takes to get from A to B he must know what lies in between A & B. In a realistic situation a TC wouldn't have that detailed of a layout. He might have a general idea (ridge here, road there, bridge there, etc...) but he won't know every patch of woods or small marsh along the way.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kingfish:

I don't see how that is possible. Like I said in my previous post, in order for someone to know how long it takes to get from A to B he must know what lies in between A & B.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, what if the commander/squad leader estimates the time from A to B, with greater room for error in that estimate dependant on the length of the move, and the terrain they're moving over..?

I think you can make an estimate yourself which would be no less accurate than any of your TCs would manage. ETA for short distances is just meaningless on a battlefield.

David

------------------

They lost all of their equipment and had to swim in under machine gun fire. As they struggled in the water, Gardner heard somebody say, "Perhaps we're intruding, this seems to be a private beach."