Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Panther Turret kill $ Wespe employment

I waas engaged in the Cambria scenario during a week long PBEM scenario. In one of the earliest turns, a Polish Sherman destroyed a Panther with one shot. The system replied with a "mantle trapped shot" kill. It is my understanding that trapped shots were not uncommon with the mantle design of the Panther A but the Panther G's mantle had been modified and extended to prevent this. Since I had Panther G's in the scenario, I was wondering is the game was treating the Panther A and G the same for damage.

The second item that I have is the employment of Wespe SP guns. Again it was my understanding that the Wespe was a SP gun used in a stand-off or indirect fire mode. I have been unable to find either a Wespe spotter, or a way to employ the Wespe in the indirect fire mode. Any Ideas??

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eksman:

I In one of the earliest turns, a Polish Sherman destroyed a Panther with one shot. The system replied with a "mantle trapped shot" kill. It is my understanding that trapped shots were not uncommon with the mantle design of the Panther A but the Panther G's mantle had been modified and extended to prevent this.

Bob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was it an early or late G? the shot trap wasn't removed until mid Sept 1944 with later production runs of the Ausf G with the new chin mantlet. The early G's had the same mantlet as the Ausf A with it's inherent shot trap.

Regards, John Waters

------------------

"We've got the finest tanks in the world. We just love to see the

German Royal Tiger come up on the feild".

Lt.Gen. George S. Patton, Jr. Febuary 1945.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eksman:

The second item that I have is the employment of Wespe SP guns. Again it was my understanding that the Wespe was a SP gun used in a stand-off or indirect fire mode. I have been unable to find either a Wespe spotter, or a way to employ the Wespe in the indirect fire mode. Any Ideas??

Bob<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well the first part of your question has been answered so I'll help with the 2nd part. In CM there is no ability for SP guns to fire indirectly if they're represented on the actual map. BTS only allow the SP guns to fire directly at targets with their presence in certain scenarios supposedly representing scratch forces or such like thrown together to prevent an enemies advance.

Regards

Jim R.

I think John captured the essence of your first question. That said though, I'm wondering and didn't know, that CM was that sophisticated. IOW, that CM had sub-varients automatically placed into the OOB based on dates? Like, the later late Panther G, versus the earlier late model G.

The second issue of the Wespe has also been answered, but brings up another well discussed point. The German OOB was replete with 75mm SP guns, of which CM only has the halftrack version. No STiG, motivating some to deploy the Wespe into that role. Is that gamey? Beats me, I'd just rather had the tracked 75mm SP guns to begin with. And ofcourse, German softskins to replace those nasty looking dodge trucks.

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss