Christmas Soccer Match in No-Mans Land

Guys:

Regarding U.S. soccer, we're talking a contradiction in terms. They don't go together. Never will. FYI, some knucklehead baseball owner just signed a contract to pay a single player 250 MILLION DOLLARS! So if you're an American kid who has a choice of playing soccer (where there's nowhere to go play after college, except the MLS ... Minor League Soccer ...) and baseball (or football or basketball), what would you pick?

Makes you wonder what half-wit would pick soccer.

It's a great game, mind you. Just not in the U.S.

Not until they have a real professional league that pays real money, and the best players go pro instead of wasting four years playing college soccer. Nothing against a college education, but I don't think Bayern Munich requires its players to have a BA.

Happy holidays!

"World War Cups: England 2; Germany 0 "

Well, that is what was written on the interior of a toilet door in the troop quarters Sennelager near Bielefeld. Difficult to mind your..ehh.. business when confronted with such a kind of dry humor.

Concerning our recent record against the US national soccer team, you have to keep in mind that our troops were badly led by the notorious Hans Hubert Vogts. During a later change in command we suffered heavily under the leadership of the notorious Erich Ribbeck and Uli Stielike, where tactics were limited to "Bäll uffpumbe un' Hütsche uffstelle". Then, at "Operation Euro 2000" disaster stroke: in addition to usual absents of command initiative, the lacking of onerall battlefield coordination and serious supply problems due to bad weather conditions took it's toll on the Germans. The referees were bribed and also the rumor goes, that the Russians found a detailed plan just before the Operation was launched and sold it via dubious channels to the Secret Service. England was quick to respond and redirected all resources to thwart the German attack and beat them soundly with 1:0. However, in this process England - to fixed on beating it's arch rival - forgot to cover the flanks and Portugal took full advantage of this, by using the gamey tactic of map edge hugging, kicking them out of the tourney as well.

Pulling the strings of that evil sheme was - of course - Saddam Hussein. US citizens saw the worlds greatest soccer teams loosing badly, making them belief that they have a soccer team that could beat any other in the world. So his secret plan finally reached fruition: he could secretly mess up the presidential elections, thereby creating a vacuum in power which makes the world`s only remaining superpower helpless when his minions start an hostile takeover of the Mac Donalds corporation and become finally the most powerful Kebab dealer in the world.

And it all starts in a toilet, Sennelager/ Bielefeld...

I definitely recall there being widespread glee in Ireland when the US team beat the English team a few years back.

What made it all the more wonderful was that the winning goal was scored by a part-time rocker with long hair...

Then again, we do love any embarrasment to England. Remember that game where San Marino scored in about 45 seconds? That got airtime for days afterwards.

BTW, I don't see where you say the British have no team to play Germany. Last I checked they had at least three. (England, Scotland, Wales)

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I definitely recall there being widespread glee in Ireland when the US team beat the English team a few years back.

What made it all the more wonderful was that the winning goal was scored by a part-time rocker with long hair...

Then again, we do love any embarrasment to England. Remember that game where San Marino scored in about 45 seconds? That got airtime for days afterwards.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All this can be consigned to the dark days of "Turnip Taylor" and his men.

Although considering the recent events involving England supporters, I am *glad* that we didn't qualify for USA 1994. The thought of a losing team and hooligans 'over there' sends shivers down my spine...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTW, I don't see where you say the British have no team to play Germany. Last I checked they had at least three. (England, Scotland, Wales)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only circumstance in which a UK team might play is in the Olympics. It'd be nice to see Giggs, Beckham and Sullivan on the same side but it will never happen.