HQs and Forward Observers????

I hate to post this, but I can't find any information in the CM Manual, and I just read this. Computer Games. No. 121, December 2000. Page 134.

"Both platoon and company headquarter units have bonus factors for morale, stealth, combat and command radius. A unit in command will react quicker, quieter and rally faster than one out of contact. Headquarters can also substitue for dead forward observers (a common occurrence) in calling for artillery"

What the HELL are they talking about? Can someone tell me how an HQ can spot for a FO? I know they can spot for on-map mortars, but this, I just don't recall reading about.

In the same article, it also states, "In cities, houses provide perfect ambush sites for sniper and anti-tank teams. Troops can go up to four stories to set up observation posts"

Now, I'm wondering what game they are playing. I can only go to the "top" floor or "bottom" floor. Are these guys playing CM, or what?

Thanks in advance, and pardon my ignorance if I missed something.

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

HQs can't substitute for dead FOs, only as spotters for on-board mortars as your correctly stated.

Buildings represent structures from 1 to 4 stories IIRC. You only see a top and bottom floor, but a one story building represents a building with 1 - 2 stories and a 2 story building represents a structure with 3 - 4 stories. If I am wrong, someone will undoubtedly correct me.

Ryan, yes you are right. And why waste time playing the game when you just have to write about it?

Oh well, hopefully they gave it good reviews.

------------------

No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you. -Ender's Game

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

Oh well, hopefully they gave it good reviews.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They gave it great reviews... and actually, both computer gaming magazines gave it great reviews. Five stars, etc.

However, I know, and you know, it is great. BUT how can he give it a great review, when he actually hasn't played it? Which, is obvious from what was written...

Thoughts?

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

Guest Madmatt

The reviewer may have gotten slightly confused about the fact that HQ's CAN act as spotters for onboard mortars that are under their control. Also refered to (pretty much only by me) as Onboard Indirect Fire.

Also remember that when we read a review or any form of journalistic effort, what we see has normally gone through editing for space, content and appeal. It's not fair to chastise the reviewer for one mistake in facts when, by and large, the review is otherwise accurate.

Madmatt