Firing from tanks

If you where 10 feet away from someone you might be able to hit them. BTS didnt want to do it because while its done in movies it wasnt done in the "real" world because the infantry would disembark unless they where suicidal. I've ambushed a sherman with a squad on top and they survived no more than 5 seconds before they where gunned down.

------------------

The names Ash, Housewares

mgwhore.gif

[This message has been edited by Ash (edited 08-04-2000).]

Have you seen this in a movie, or in real life? If you have seen it in real life, have you had any ability to judge how effective that fire was? Do you have any experience firing a rifle? If so, how accurate do you think you could be sitting on a tank, probably not in anything resembling a seat, and trying to hit ANYTHING at all with a rifle, not to mention a LMG.

Personally, I think CM should not even allow infantry to ride on tanks to the extent that it does. You can fit a squad of ten men on most tanks? Seems a bit far fetched to me. Sure you could cram them on there, but not in any way that you would be inclined to go into battle as.

I do agree that they should be able to fire from halftracks, since they were designed for it, albeit at a reduced effectiveness.

Jeff

I've seen pictures of men jammed onto tanks--closer to a platoon of men then a squad. Most tanks could easily hold a squad of troops. But,of course, they usually appear more concerned with simply holding on than having any kind of combat effectiveness. If engaged, they should suffer an extra penalty because they are so exposed.

I agree that inf. should have some ability to fight from halftracks.

------Chris

------------------

Land Soft--Kill Quiet

Well maybe my picture example wasn't to good, I've seen Russians riding on T34's into battle firing. But Russians were suicidal smile.gif. But atleast from half-tracks, its armored protection that they could fire from, and I can see atleast two or three tank riders with sub-machine gund riding into a town and engaging the enemy from the tank.

Guest Michael emrys

The Soviets placed squads of SMG-armed infantry on their tanks to protect them from anti-tank assault teams during breakthroughs. Infantry on foot couldn't keep up and at that point the Sovs didn't have enough halftracks to put them in those. And yes, they died at prodigious rates, but they did protect the tanks pretty well. The SMGs were accurate enough spraying bullets at close range to do the job.

Michael