CM2: Against all odds

One of the things that some wargames fail to translate is how many battles were inherently unwinnable. It's easy enough to understand, since few wargamers enjoy a battle which they know they can't win. Cunning use of victory point totals can compensate to some degree for this, but not eliminate it completely - dominating the field is much more viscerally enjoyable then having a nice splash screen that informs you that you've won. I'm a little bit worried that CM2 will present only 'balanced' scenarios, and thereby will distort the picture of some of it's players about what really occurred on the Eastern Front. Like mentioned in the "CM2 Russian Squads" thread, many/most Russian losses happened during counteroffensives they really had no hope of winning. What do you think of this, Steve and Charles? Having long command delays is well and good, but it's hardly the whole story.

Reality Check: The game hasn't even started to be coded, much less scenarios being designed. Guesses on what is to be in the game, are just that, guesses. With scenario designers like Wild Bill, Moon, Los, and others...I don't think you need to fear.

Let's revisit this when the time is appropriate...not before it is even being worked on.

Rune

Still researching and getting data ready for CM2...

Also, it's a game.. there has to be some chance of winning or you're not going to play. I think the losses to both sides will be well represented when the Russians are forced to use conscripts and green troops and later in the war when the Germans have some good gear but find the Russians more than a match

PeterNZ