Inappropriate use of smoke

Guest Mongo Lloyd

Guest Mongo Lloyd

I think there are still some issues with smoke being used when it is not appropriate. In a pbem game I am playing now I had a bunker target infantry in a building about 550 meters away. Instead of firing HE it fired smoke. The infantry in the building was certainly no threat to the bunker and no threat to anything else for that matter. My opponent has some tanks attacking inside the town and they seem very eager to fire smoke as well. He isn't too happy about it.

Guest Madmatt

We we weren't, but I will run some more tests and see what I can dig up.

It's really hard to comment on something like this without save game files though...

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-30-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Did those StuH's have and "C" type ammo left? If all they had was HE then depending on the range and angle they might have decided that there wasnt a good enough chance to kill the Sherman and fired smoke instead.

Espicially if the angle was more of a front shot than side shot the 105 HE has almost no chance of a penetration at 500 mneters against a M4A3W+.

I ran some tests just now and the StuH's will fire smoke unless they have a clean PURE side shot and when you compare the effectiveness of the 105 against the armor on the W+ at 500 meters this behavior makes sense. If you had a saved game file though it would really help as we could look at the exact angle and elevation etc...

Madmatt

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 12-30-2000).]