Grand Strategy games?

All i can say is it's damn hard to find one.Axis& allies is abit to simplistic.

There are plenty of Good Tactical games out including this one (my favourite along with cc5 smile.gif But i want the much bigger scale to sink my teeth into as well.

The only one im watching at the moment is world in flames for the computer,is there anything else someone knows about.?

------------------

"Some people don't see the light until they first feel the heat"

Hey mate, how's auckland?

Well, there's always 3rd Reich, but it's kinda FRIGGIN HUGE.

Diplomacy for your more abstract thrills. But both of those are boardgames really.

There's the 'Operational Art of War' series for computer, or the Imperialism series which might take your fancy (check demos).

PeterNZ

I have Operation Art of War for the computer. It's good, but not the best. I quickly became disillusioned with it. It lost the element of the Boyd Cycle, and almost all battles became a game of attrition. There was no room for maneuver, and therefore use of Operational tactics.

Please note, that you are asking for a game of Grand Strategy. The Soviets classified three areas of warfare. They are:

1. Tactical;

2. Operational; and

3. Strategic.

Since you ask for a great strategic game, I'll give you one, hands down. Put away your computer, and buy the board game World In Flames (WIF). I forget the current version, but it's global, and it's awesome. The only bad thing is, you may actually have to sit face to face with someone to really enjoy it. smile.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!

[This message has been edited by Dr. Brian (edited 11-22-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dr. Brian:

I have Operation Art of War for the computer. It's good, but not the best. I quickly became disillusioned with it. It lost the element of the Boyd Cycle, and almost all battles became a game of attrition. There was no room for maneuver, and therefore use of Operational tactics.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not heard of this Boyd Cycle before. In defense of TOAW, which is my favorite 2nd to CM in the tactics/strategy-category, I must say that in good scenarios you can sure get maneuvering space.

And if you don't have... get it by force he he.

[This message has been edited by Stefan Fredriksson (edited 11-22-2000).]

I third the vote for The Operational Art of War. As Stefan commented, manuver room depends on the scenario. And with upwards of 200 scenarios availiable on the net, one can find something covering their favorite war of the 20th century.

WWB

------------------

Ave, Caesar! Morituri te salatamus.

TOAW is my 2nd favorite game, only superceded by the demon called CM... smile.gif

Takes a while to get into but if you persist a bit, it will serve you very well. Great buck for the bang.

Lots of scenarios on the web to keep you going. Some are not very well designed, just because TOAW can model many timescales and map scales it doesn't mean it can model it well. Most of the scens are great though. Still my favourites are the Corea War from Norm Koger himself and Crusader. I would pay the money just for those two scens, I've played them time and time again.

Get yourself TOAW Century of Warfare, IMO it's the best OP level game out there.

ps. I have no affiliation with Talonsoft whatsoever.

------------------

My squads are regular, must be the fibre in the musli...

Boyd Cycle = It's a theory on tactics... named after a colonel, no less, of the USAF.

I'll give you the ISBN # and more,either tonight or tommorrow. Every well read arm chair military tactician should read it. smile.gif

------------------

Doc

God Bless Chesty Puller, Wherever He Is!