Of New Uniforms, Necks and Chins

I just got through checking out all the impressive new uniforms at CMHQ Annex. They're a real treat, though I think the bolt action rifles are on the skinny side.

What troubles me, though, is the appearance of the occupants of all the new battle dress. To a man they seem to be lacking necks, face and chin definition, thus considerably weakening their martial appearance and visual impact.

Could someone explain to me why this is so?

Thanks!

John Kettler

Guest Bobb

It seems to me the faces have been somewhat improved over the old beta fellows. Also the helmets for the Amis. They look deeper and not so flaired as before. Now they look more US and less Soviet.

The limitation on choices here is likely polygons. Any polygon conserved on troops is a big advantage as the multiplicity of that unit type really stacks up the implications to frame rates. And in 3d we may be talking about more than one added polygon to satisify our yens for bulldog chins. They at least look much better to me now in frontal views. It is the profile that suffers. Even that does not seem quite so bad to me as before. They are not so pink, freshly scrubbed either. I'll take 'em as is.

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Could someone explain to me why this is so?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Polygons smile.gif To do a human being correctly takes hundreds, which is just far too many. Check out other games with the human figure as the primary focal point, and they are still very angular.

So they are as good as they are going to get for a while. The do, however, have necks, chins, noses, and some facial features. If it doesn't look like it in the still shots, that is just a problem with looking at 2D shots of 3D stuff.

Steve