Is the AI not agressive enough or what?

Sorry if this has been covered before... And this is not meant as a spoiler... but after playing All or Nothing yesterday (all night actiually..) I came to a conclusion which I thought I had noticed a few weeks ago...

Is it just me or is the Ai not agressive enough? I don't mean with individual units... I mean with it's objectives...

On ALl or Nothing, I played as the Germans...

I was appalled by the end of the game when I saw the brits forces, and wondered why they didn't all move on me en mass... and whipe me out... I would say that numbers wise they could have swarmed every position I had since they outnumbered me about 2-1 possibly 3-1... Plus armor... yet they sat on their side of the map not advancing untill turn 70 or so... at which point I brought all my men out of hiding in the town and started to kill brits faster than ever as they came over the big hill.

It seems to me that if I hide my men right from the start on almost any map, and try to ambush a lot (as is my favorite tactic) the Ai opponant never moves and just sits there taking pop shots at things it does see... It took the brits till turn 25 before they even tried to cross the primary bridge... but after that they never went uch further for the rest of the match even though they had limited enemy contact. Of course they lost two tanks and their scout car to my ambushing infantry, but my infantry died right after... So why didn't they push foreward...

They had a bunch of flag markers all over they had to go for... yet the Ai never even tried... So I eneded up winning even though if the Allies had attacked me as planned I would have had a REALLY hard fight on my hands...

I guess this goes to show just how much better a real human opponent is over a computer... Since If I was on the allies side, around turn 40 or so when all my british reinforcements really start showing up would have pushed themm all in to attack the germans but quick... i mean ok a handful of anti tank guns most not all that useful against churchils etc... But the ones that where useful could be made nul and void if I just rushed my men and tanks over onto the big hill and across the primary bridge as fast as I could... I'd lose maybe two or three tanks in the charge for the bridge... Anyone have any thoughts... IS THE AI TOO PUSSYCATISH?! Is there a setting to improve the AI? I saw one that said Computer experience level or something at the start of every map, is that what I am looking for? Someone help me cuz I don't feel like playing long Pbem's lately... But want a slightly better challange than just sitting their waiting for the Ai to do something other than waste my time...

It seems to me victory flags mean very little to attacking Ai oponeats... If they don't see an enemy they just sit there. If they do spot something... they try to kill it from 400 m or so... when moving in would be the better way...

I mean like when you lose a tank or a pillbox and then a tank sits at 400+m with a big open safe tank lovers dream of a feild in between them and the machine gunner fires but the tank doesn't even try to move up...

Well whatever... any input would be great...

Oh yeah if you wanna be gamey on this map, just blow the bridges... the wooden one in town... and the train one on the left flank of the german side...

I did it on round 74 just cuz I was bored and had little to else to shoot at...

Guest Michael emrys

When a side undergoes losses, especially armor, its morale can and usually will plummet and it becomes timid. In one scenario I played, most of my armed vehicles got smoked in about three turns and my soldiers morale went from 97% to 62% and the remaining crews began bailing out every time the enemy got close.

As an aside, my own morale sank too when I realized my troops were just not going to continue the offensive that day, and I resigned.

Michael

Somewhere I've read that there are several AI "personalities", such as aggressive, moderate, and conservative. I believe this because I've had defensive battles where I was wondering if there was even an attacker, to battles where, after a methodical advance, the AI launches wave-like attacks that eventually swamp me. For the most part, I think the AI is excellent and fun to play against. I have noticed, however, that it seems to choose shorter paths more than safer paths when near an objective flag. There seems to be a point in every scenario where the AI says "Screw It" and makes a mad dash with everything it has.

Ok that clears it up a bit for me, because I have seen a few times when the Ai makes some actually suicidial mad dashes for something... on that same game All or Nothing, the only balsy move I saw was a brit halftrack driving like he had just snorted some coke, and then spotted some super model on the bridge... I mean it was quite balsy if stupid... It died like the rest cuz everyone else was jerkin off in the woods...

The morale thing makes sense since the figures at the end told volumes... I lost about 100 men and most of my equipment at the horrendous cost of about 2-300 men, and about 30 peices of mixed armor and vehicles for the brits but this all came toward then end when they just sat in the treelines getting hit......

But morale or not the Ai didn't even try... I mean if I was playing morale be damned when I know (well suspect within reason) my force is superior, I would have gave each unit a command personaly to get em to move in! if I was the brit commander I woulda felt like patton in the movie patton when the trucks and tanks got hung up on that dirt road (somewhere in/near italy)... most of the kills I got where because I just sat back and hammered the cowering brits... My arty came in slow, but dead on accurate that day too...

All in all though I still feel the Ai I have been playing lately, is not agressive enough... I almost felt like attacking them to be able to really mix it up with something... But then again maybe thats what the Ai was planning? I mean it has done some seemingly inteligent things (like retreating and me foolishly thinking that since it's a computer it wouldn't think to retreat in order to draw me foreward into the open, But thats what happened it reatreated then moved right back in to surround my men...

Well then again maybe I am just being silly since my usual tac is to wait and feel out my enemy before my real attack comes... I often repeat to myself... arty is our friend... heh nothing better than getting the enemy to attack you, then opening up with everything I got from the front and sides and then calling arty to the rear of the enemy so he has a wall of death no matter where he goes smile.gifAny more thoughts from the rest of you...?

I tried making a scenario where two Elite German FJ Platoons, a HMG, and a 75mm RCL ambush an American supply convoy (a bunch of trucks, some transporting a green infantry company, some towing guns, some "empty") guarded by a couple MG Jeeps and an M8.

But no matter what I try I just can not get the AI to play this scenario. I set up the map with a single road going from west to east, which runs through a very narrow valley and very thick pine forrests (ie the ONLY way across this map for vehicles is the road). The Americans start on the west side of the map, and the east side is marked as an exit point. No victory flags at all, so the only way to get the points is to exit the map. Which they are given 20 turns to do, with a pair of M5's showing up on turn 8 to assist.

The AI won't even start advancing till around turn 15, and even then it refuses to drive down the road. It insists on attempting to drive through the very dense pine forrests, which of course it can't do... frown.gif

Even playing as the Americans doesn't work, because the German AI refuses to stay in their foxholes and wait for the convoy (even though they are rated as Elite). So by the time the convoy does come through the valley ambush point there are no Germans with LOS so the convoy rolls right off the map, neither side having fired a single shot 80% of the time... mad.gif