Bovington AAR

Hi all.

the Bovington trip was grand. We got three or so roles of film from a very large and impressive museum! Germanboy and myself will have pictures up at the end of the week.

Not sure what else to say.. well the Tiger is frick'n huge!

There was a huge range of vehicles from WW2 and beyond and I think we got pictures of them all.

PeterNZ

Guest machineman

When I was there I remember thinking it would be pretty tough to jump up on a Tiger like where the paratroopers take one out in Saving Private Ryan. When I was there they had one of the T34 based Tigers from the movie and it is a LOT smaller.

------------------

"Environment is everything - The Lion may be king of the jungle, but you airlift him to Antartica, and he's just some Penguins bitch" - Dennis Miller

Looking forward to the photos.

Also... this is from the Bovington Tank Museum's website (www.tankmuseum.co.uk).

The Restoration of The Tiger

We have been awarded a grant of nearly £97,000 from the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the restoration of our historic World War 2 German Tiger tank. The work will be carried out in Bovington at ABRO (Army Base Repair Organisation) and will take about 12 months.

The project will complement our existing programme of attractions which is unrivalled in the southern region. All our visitors will appreciate the public benefits of this project since both the

indoor and outdoor aspects of our site are accessible for wheelchairs.  Technical quality is assured since the work will be accomplished to the highest standards by two firms with the best experience in the field; subsequent maintenance will be undertaken by our own workshops where staff have proven ability in the operation of historic armoured vehicles.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chupacabra:

The Tiger seems to be fully restored, and is, as Peter said, enormous. Much bigger than I'd expected.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And has a nice glow-in-the-dark colour scheme...

The Tommies in my book get the award for producing the most unstylish and most useless tank designs I have ever seen. Some of their designers must have been stark raving nuts. Amazing. No wonder Hobart at one time ended up as a corporal in the Home Guard.

Oh, and they have more Churchills than you can shake a stick at. And I got Peter to stand next to the tanks in most cases for size comparisons (remember, size does matter). Chubbachops and Dr.Alinatalo refused citing they did not have their beauty sleep, the wusses that they are.

Piccies may take a while, I have about 50, and I am very busy at work trying to save you all from climate change desasters.

------------------

Andreas

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

And I got Peter to stand next to the tanks in most cases for size comparisons (remember, size does matter). Chubbachops and Dr.Alinatalo refused citing they did not have their beauty sleep, the wusses that they are.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are obviously either blind or insane, or quite likely both, given the way you drive. I'm the guy with the glasses. That's me in the pictures, sonny, not Peter.

But yes, the Brits did crank out some truly phantasmagorically poor tank designs.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

I remember that when I first saw the Bovington Tiger, it had its turret removed to one side, so all I saw was the blocky hull. The first thought that went through my head was "OK.. someone's taken the Brengun Carrier to extremes...."

Does it still have the GB sticker on the rear fender?

Big is the King Tiger.. Did you see how thick the rear amour is? Whoa....

BTW, where would Ryanair be taking you for $30? (I'll bet that's one way....)

NTM

[This message has been edited by Trooper (edited 10-23-2000).]