M36B1 Graphics Question

Howdy-

Made a scenario with some M36B1 TDs in it today and noticed an apparent error. In the game, the M36B1 appears as a standard M36, that is, the 90mm turret on the M10 TD hull. However, according to Fred Crimson in US Military Tracked Vehicles, pages 166-7, the M36B1 had the 90mm turret on a standard M4A3 medium tank hull instead of the M10 TD hull. There's even a photo of the prototype M36B1 in the book, with this nomenclature painted on the side of the turret, and it has a Sherman hull.

This appears to be only a graphics problem. When I look at the stats of the M36B1 in CM, it shows hull armor as if the Sherman hull was really there, instead of the M10 hull.

According to Crimson, the plain M36 was based on the M10A1 hull (Ford GAA V-8, same motor as M4A3). The M36B1 was essentially an M4A3 with the M36 turret, and the M36B2 was the M10 hull (twin GM diesels).

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Guest Big Time Software

Wondering when someone might point this one out smile.gif

The model is indeed incorrect, but pretty close. We simply ran out of time and decided we would rather have a slightly incorrect model *and* the simulated vehicle rather than no vehicle at all. Hopefully we will find some time to fix this one up. In fact... of the top of my head I can't think of any other vehicle like the M36B1 that got short changed this way. There were a few more but we managed to get them done up right before we went to code freeze.

Steve

Steve said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Wondering when someone might point this one out<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Woohoo, grog points score biggrin.gif

I'm in no rush as long as it works right in the game, which it seems to, but I'm just curious. How hard is it to fix something like this? Seems like you already have the hull and turret models lying around the shop.

What I'm more interested in is if there are any plans to include the M15 and M16 flak halftracks. I recall hearing a rumor of a possible "vehicle pack" to be released in the future sometime. Is there any truth to this and would these vehicles be in it?

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, all the data is correct for the M36B1. We could have had a Stuart in there and it would behave the same way smile.gif

How hard would it have been to fix this one up? Honestly... not that hard. It was just that we had a cut off date for vehicles and had lots more important ones in need of attention. That and the fact that we missed the date a few times smile.gif So in a vacuum not hard at all, but in the final push to finish just one too many things smile.gif

We may or may not do a vehicle pack. We have to see how certain things go to decide if, when, and how this might happen. We will, of course, keep you guys well informed. When we have some options we might even poll you guys to find out which one would work best for y'all!

Steve

Steve said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>So in a vacuum not hard at all, but in the final push to finish just one too many things<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd have done the same thing. Besides, I'm sure you know some folks are strange enough to consider things like this an Easter egg smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We may or may not do a vehicle pack. We have to see how certain things go to decide if, when, and how this might happen. We will, of course, keep you guys well informed. When we have some options we might even poll you guys to find out which one would work best for y'all!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info. In case there's a chance you'll retain this memory if and when the time comes, here's my opinion in advance: do it even if I have to pay for it. CM stuff is worth buying. In fact, I'd rather pay for it and get it on a CD than have to download more than a couple megs with my crappy redneck ISP.

------------------

-Bullethead

• 3 months later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Yes, all the data is correct for the M36B1. We could have had a Stuart in there and it would behave the same way smile.gif

How hard would it have been to fix this one up? Honestly... not that hard. It was just that we had a cut off date for vehicles and had lots more important ones in need of attention. That and the fact that we missed the date a few times smile.gif So in a vacuum not hard at all, but in the final push to finish just one too many things smile.gif

We may or may not do a vehicle pack. We have to see how certain things go to decide if, when, and how this might happen. We will, of course, keep you guys well informed. When we have some options we might even poll you guys to find out which one would work best for y'all!

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Per topic search, I found this thread and have resurrected it from the June timeframe. With a few months since transpired, I thus feel it appropriate to ask of Steve/BTS if a "vehicle pack" add-on for CMBO is still being mulled over or in the works.

In the meantime, if anyone wants some guidance on what the M36B1 should look like, I offer the following below wink.gif :

4293415_0_5744.fpx,0,0,1,1,512,335,FFFFFF

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... good job melding the two together. As for some sort of expansion pack... we are still kicking the idea around. However, we are still too busy with TCP/IP to get anything started at the moment. We'll let you know when we know wink.gif

Steve

I know ive been nagging alot about any possible Vehicle expansion and i dont expect (nor do i want) an answer to this post since i would like you guys to keep working on the tcp/ip patch but one of the things i want in an expansion is just this... the correct vehicle looks... i know that the game physics are right but it just feels better when the vehicles are correctly modeled visually...

well ive stopped ranting... you can come out now

------------------

Wof, wof, wof, wof... Thats my other dog imitation.