Tanks in "Battle of the Bulge"?

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

Speaking of vehicles....

TCM (Turner Classic Movies) was playing Henry Fonda's "Battle of the Bulge" last night. I am trying to figure out what type of tank they used to portray the King Tigers. The American tanks were clearly M24 Chaffees. Which I find odd, 'cause didn't the American National Guard use Shermans for a time even after Korea?

The King Tigers looked a bit like M26 Pershings. The turret looked about right, but the chassis didn't look right. (Used CombatHQ's POTD to compare.) Might have been a modified M41, but I don't know too much about Korean War era tanks.

By the way, what were the tanks used by the Americans in "Patton"?

Thanx,

Answers would be greatly appreciated!

It was probably done in order to convey the size difference between a Sherman and a King Tiger. I remember all that movie was, was about the American's beating a supposedly invincible enemy through sheer guts.

The M26's were probably not as large as a German King Tiger, and using Shermans will only make the M26's look smaller. The M24's were used in order to decieve the viewer, I am pretty sure that they were supposed to be Shermans.

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cueball:

In the "Battle of the Bulge", they used M-47's. In the movie "Patton", the German tanks were represented by M-48's and the Americans by M-41 "Walker Bulldogs"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, Thanx alot Cueball.

I had a feeling about that. I knew the German tanks in Patton were M48's. The difference between the M41's and the M47's was always confusing to me. Like I said, I'm not too familiar with Korean era tanks.

I know they used some M47 tanks in 'Nam, but then shortly later they used M48s.

Sometimes I wonder how an M60 tank would pair up against Germany's late war tanks. It's 105mm gun would probably make a big difference. It's armor may be a different story.

------------------

"I want you to remember that...no bastard ever won a war...by dying for his country...He won it...by making the other poor dumb bastard...die for his country."--George S. Patton

On similar subject... In 'Stalingrad' there is a scene where the Germans stop T-34s with magnetic mines. When the Soviet tanks attack there are only a couple of T-34s but in background there are a couple of other tanks that I didn't recognize. Does someone know what tanks they used there?

- Tommi

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tss:

On similar subject... In 'Stalingrad' there is a scene where the Germans stop T-34s with magnetic mines. When the Soviet tanks attack there are only a couple of T-34s but in background there are a couple of other tanks that I didn't recognize. Does someone know what tanks they used there?

- Tommi<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hang on, I'll look it up.

Just looked up the scene...I'm pretty sure they're BT-7s which was Russia's Light Tank during this time. I used to play Talonsoft's East Front II, and I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I know they're not T-28s.

However, the T-34's look like a model that came out after the Stalingrad campaign. The turrets look awefully big to me. Couldn't tell you the exact model, 'cause I'm not an expert on the variations on T-34s (and Sherman's for that matter). I'm pretty good with the Pz IV series though.

What we all need is BTS to model all these tanks as historically accurate as possible so we'll all become experts!

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-09-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Ol' Blood & Guts (edited 02-09-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ol' Blood & Guts:

Sometimes I wonder how an M60 tank would pair up against Germany's late war tanks. It's 105mm gun would probably make a big difference. It's armor may be a different story.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some of us in my Guard tank unit (M60A3 at the time) who were history buffs liked to talk about this. With the good DU Sabot round, the M60 shouldn't have any problems killing a Tiger at 2500+ meters. HEAT would probably be sufficient for most other tanks. Its armor, as you say, is a different matter. We basically considered our tanks to be UNarmored (for the purpose of fighting other tanks), and practiced hiding and ambushing a lot. The front might be ok against an 88, but I wouldn't want to take a flank hit.

The really big difference, of course, would be the night sights, especially the thermal sight on the A3.

My old unit now has M1A1's. With those, you'd just line up and yell "Charge!" smile.gif

-- Mike Zeares

Just looked up the scene...I'm pretty sure they're BT-7s which was Russia's Light Tank during this time. I used to play Talonsoft's East Front II, and I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I know they're not T-28s.

I haven't seen Stalingrad in ages but I seem to remember that the tanks in background were not WWII tanks. Also, I don't know if there are any BT tanks still in running condition, and I'd be quite surprised that they had enough of them.

However, the T-34's look like a model that came out after the Stalingrad campaign.

Yes, the T-34s are definitely T-34/85s that came only later.

- Tommi