Best War Movies!

OK, we've been to the dark side, now what do you see as the best war movies (Let's stick to WW ver2.0)

I think "Das Boat", another german production "Stalingrad" (If you haven't seen it, find it, sub-titled but I hear the DVD can be watched in English), got to include "Cross of Iron". Also I liked "A Walk in the Sun" even though it was made almost as a propagands film. "Battleground" was kinda short on action but I still think it's classic. Since we're talking WW2 I guess I'll have to leave out "Porkchop Hill".

I guess we could almost give seperate awards for story, correct equipment, actually following history, and others. Goofy

What was that movie about that English kid who was living in Hong Kong and gets put into the Japanese prison camp? That was a pretty good flick.

------------------

To conquer others is to have power,

To conquer yourself is to have strength.

-Lao Tzu

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ski:

What was that movie about that English kid who was living in Hong Kong and gets put into the Japanese prison camp? That was a pretty good flick.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Empire of the Sun directed by Speilberg. Probably Speilberg's least liked movie but my favorite of all of his. The kid was great in that movie, "P51, cadillac of the sky". The story is adapted from JG Ballard's autobiography of the same name.

"Das Boot", "The Big Red One" and "The Thin Red Line" are some of my favorites.

On a different subject, an excellent book to read is "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. A first person perspective by a german soldier who fought on the Eastern Front.