Targeting BUG in v1.05

Bug in Version 1.05 ?:

When targeting an ambush marker with a hidden platoon, I decided to sneak two of the squads through nearby woods to get behind a tank so they could take it out with panzerfausts. On the next turn they began moving, crossed railroad tracks, then entered the woods. They immediatly were fired upon by a hidden unit in the woods, and another unit about 50m away in a crossroads. The shooting started about 20 seconds into the movie playback. For the next 40 seconds, they proceeded to duck and then get up and still move slowly, almost as if they were still sneaking. They also refused to de-target the ambush marker, even though the closest enemy that was firing at them was only 7m away.

Very annoying, as the squads got hit pretty bad because of this.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pham911:

Bug in Version 1.05 ?:

When targeting an ambush marker with a hidden platoon, I decided to sneak two of the squads through nearby woods to get behind a tank so they could take it out with panzerfausts. On the next turn they began moving, crossed railroad tracks, then entered the woods. They immediatly were fired upon by a hidden unit in the woods, and another unit about 50m away in a crossroads. The shooting started about 20 seconds into the movie playback. For the next 40 seconds, they proceeded to duck and then get up and still move slowly, almost as if they were still sneaking. They also refused to de-target the ambush marker, even though the closest enemy that was firing at them was only 7m away.

Very annoying, as the squads got hit pretty bad because of this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet you'll remember to un-select the targeting of the ambush marker next time, won't you?

------------------

--

Toad

Ontario, Canada

Here's a case where BTS is damned if they do, and damned if they don't. They made the Ambush markers stickier for v1.05 based on complaints that troops released from the ambush point too easily in 1.03/4. Probably not a perfect solution here. It will always depend on what you want in the moment:

"No, damnit, don't fire yet!"

"Shoot! Shoot! Who gives a damn about the Ambush marker?"

------------------

"Don't lie to me, Gustav! You're a stinkin' Mac user!"

Guest Scott Clinton

I agree with Pham911, esp. considering that units often will ignore your "Ambush" order and fire at units outside their ambush zone anyway.

If they are independent enough to do that, then they should be independent enough to know when they are being fired upon by enemy units at close range and respond (if only drop the ambush marker and take cover).

I will (once again) state I have seen this type of non-responsiveness to enemy fire even when my units do NOT have an ambush order plotted.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-10-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>units often will ignore your "Ambush" order and fire at units outside their ambush zone anyway<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have not seen this myself. I have seen my units in ambush drop the ambush to fire at nearby enemies, especially those firing at them; but these enemies were close enough the ambushing unit should have fired at them anyway. Kind of surprised me because most of the time they stay zoned in on the ambush marker. But I viewed the replay and they certainly did drop the ambush marker when faced with nearby threats.

I think it has alot to do with variables that are not readily apparent to the player.

Could be a slight rise or dip in the ground, how much activity is going on nearby, unit quality, tree/house coverage, and the spotting algorithms (noise level, size of unit being spotted, et al).

I have seen units set to ambush be slow to react to other threats that fire on them (i.e. take a turn or two), and would assume this is normal since all their focus is on one specific spot (the ambush).

I have not seen units set to ambush fire at something out of the way/not nearby.

-jmtcw

johnS

addendum~ I have seen ambushing units fire at other stuff if they have already been spotted by a number of other units even if these haven't fired at the ambusher. I imagine the "gig is up" at that point and self-preservation kicks in?

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 09-10-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Tiger (edited 09-10-2000).]

Guest Scott Clinton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I have not seen units set to ambush fire at something out of the way/not nearby.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It happens. Try a game with low quality units and set them for ambush. It is a function of the units quality and a 'good' thing IMHO.

My point was simply, that if units have THIS level of 'independent thought' then asking that they either stop or return fire when they are being hammered at <20m would be reasonable (irregardless of whether they have a ambush plotted or not).

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-10-2000).]