Modern Canadian army question

I know this is way off topic but my brother is in bootcamp and has told me that he is training on the c8 carbine. I thought that he would get the c7. I believe the c7 is better because it is scoped, and it is standard issue. He is in the reserves, and he is in bootcamp. This is his first time having anything to do with it. He is in the Argylls. I just want to know why he is using the c8 and not the c7, because there are alot more c7's then c8's. I was just wondering if any Canadian reservist might be able to answer my question!

Thanks!

Guest Hack022

c8'S are ususally used by armoured troops as it has a folding/sliding plastic stock that makes the weapon smaller and hence easier to store and remove from vehicles. I don't know if the ASHofC is a mech unit or leg unit. Could be there wasn't enough c7's in the armoury so they issued him a c8.

Smack;

As Hack022 already said, it is primarily used by armoured troops. The C-8 is is essentially the same thing as an American M-16A2. It is smaller in size and ideal for situations or tasks which demand a smaller, but still effective weapon.

As an Infantryman and an ex Artilleryman, I have had very little exposure to it so I'm not sure if NDHQ decided to put a scope on it too. Due to the size of the scope and the more limited range of the weapon, I would hazzard a guess that they have not and probbably never will. But still, they put a scope on the C-7 so who knows.

Just for your information, the C-8 is indeed a carbine, shorter range, smaller in size. The C-7 is the standard issue service rifle which is more accurate than its American brother the M-16. (It has a different barrel) And then there is the C-9, essentially the same thing as the American M-243 SAW, only it too has a scope (same one that the C-7 uses) and if memory serves, it may have less moving parts than its American cousin.

On scopes, yes they are effective and they do make just about everyone better shots, even on the C-9. However, I personally find it tends to create tunnel vision as an enemy advances towards you. (with the exception of the C-9 as you SHOULD be watching your spashes and only really using the scope for your intial bursts) The bottom line is that you have to remember too use the ruber notches above the scope as "battle sights" when things get in close and nasty.

When you say "Argylls" I assue your refering to the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders of Canada ....from Hamilton I believe? If this is the case then they are an infantry regiment. That having been said, I'm surprised that Infanteers would train with the C-8, especially reservists on their basic training (boot camp is an American term). The only thing the Inf. really use it for is what we call FIBUA and the yanks call MOUT - Urban Fighting. As for being Mech, There are not to the best of my knowledge, any Mech reserve Inf. Regts in the CF. Even if your brothers Regt was Mech, I would still be surprised to see him trained on the C-8. A reserve regiment should not "run out of weapons to go around" so I can't see it being a logistical thing if your brother is doing his Basic Training at his home unit or armory. What I can see is the weapons at the Battle School (Gagetown for instance) being so worn that they needed to be referbished(SP?) or replaced, and as an interim measure all courses being rotated through right now are being issued C-8s, but even thats a stretch.

Hard to say why without more info. smile.gif

------------------

"Hosti Acie Nominati"