# of units on a battlefield ?

What is the limit of units that the game can handle w/o bad framerate or resulting in a crash? I was at CM HQ and found a POTD that showed what was obviosly a custom scenario with what had to be almost a hundred german tanks against an unknown allied force.

I ask this because im a big fan of creating scenarios featuring hundreds of infanty men.

I played multiplayer CC3 against a friend and we each selected the maximum number of infantry per side and then ran them straight at each other just to see what happened. I realize that this has nothing to do with tactics or strategy, but it was just great watching almost 200 individual soldiers fighting hand to hand and to the death.

Id like to try this with CM.

A couple of companies per side with get you into the hundreds of guys range, once you add in all the support weapons and a few vehicles. That's a pretty typical size scenario.

In one scenario I'm playing it looks like about a battallion of infantry and 25-30 vehicles per side. It takes a while to do the calculations, and the movie files are huge, but there's no problem playing on my 300 MHz PPC laptop.

When the scenarios are that big it's fun to turn on movement paths and target lines at the same time to get some feeling of the amount of activity and confusion. Red lines everywhere...