Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Getting the best out of the AI

Guest Username:

Guys (and especially username if you are still reading this thread):

Here's a nifty way to increase the challenge factor vs the AI.

After setup, play the game entirely in view #1 and always from the perspective of your units. Use only the +/- keys to scroll through units with view-locked-to-unit. Move/fire orders can only be given to the unit you are currently locked to.

You might consider allowing zoom when locked to vehicle, leader, or FO units. I also advise allowing rotation of the view once locked to a unit. One other possibility is giving orders to sub-units from the perspective of their commanding unit (only if they are in command radius).

When you play the action phase, only allow watching the action from your top leader unit (company, battallion, or designate one before the game starts if they are co-equal).

Movement orders tend to be in short hops and recon units take on their real-life significance...recommended only for the hardcore grognard.

I intend to use this method for all the full-release scenarios when playing them the first time.

Ren

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Captain Foobar

Username,

Do you mind if I ask what is at the heart of your malcontent nature?

What motivated you (HONESTLY) to post your feelings about the terribly deficient AI in this game? Did you think somehow it would be modified to your bulldozer model before the cd's are sent out?

I have NEVER seen a series of posts from you that maintain a level of decent manners and respect for people you are talking to.

Discussion is meant for individuals who hold each other in some level of regard, WITH THE MOTIVATION BEING THE LOGICAL DISCUSSION OF IDEAS.

You hve built up a solid track record of acting very badly. You do not appear to be interested in the back-and-forth nature of discussion, and the sharing of ideas. People post here to gain insight, and to be sycophants like me. wink.gif

Until I see 20 posts from you that exhibit an interest in DISCUSSION, based on respect, and intellectual intercourse, I will have to keep my opinion of your motivations, and assume that you are only interested in besting others in a debate.

If you thrive on conflict, why not try focusing it on the map, but good luck finding an opponent with the way you act.

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 05-17-2000).]

Guest Username:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Captain Foobar:

Username,

What motivated you (HONESTLY) to post your feelings about the terribly deficient AI in this game?

[This message has been edited by Captain Foobar (edited 05-17-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See the topic name?. "Getting the best out of the AI", I guess steve has said he will try to improve the AI. Thats it then.

I like Renauds ideas. You have no ideas I see. There is no discussion with you.

Guest Big Time Software

We don't need people to pucker up and kiss our butts, but we DO listen much more intently when points and questions are not laced with put downs, insults, lack of respect, confused and irrelevant points, lack of perspective, unsupported claims, etc. And might I note that even with all this we still listened. I'm not sure how much longer we are going to extend this priveledge to Lewis, but you are still here in spite of yourself.

However, before anybody goes patting themselves on the back for making an earth shattering revalation and getting us to say something profound... we have said the same thing in other posts about CM's AI and the realities of AI programming. I don't just mean recently but all the way back to before we even coded up the AI. So in the end, nothing new came out of this thread. The AI isn't perfect and Lewis really needs to reevaluate why he is here on this BBS.

Steve