Mine Fields

Howdy, Howdie

I have (foolishly) watched my own troops get injured by my own mine fields, so I can tell you no one is safe. I am unaware of speed being a factor with minefields ie, everybody can march to their death at full speed. Now barbed wire, that's another story....

Hope that helped!

Jonathan

Ooh, here's a fun thought:

When infantry attempt to move through barbed wire, they tend to "hang" in place while traversing the obstacle. If a minefield is underneath the barbed wire, would the troopers be at greater risk? Interesting thought, but I guess most people tend to go around wire to avoid being caught out in the open too long (and under fire)

Jonathan

in the full version when troops stumble into Mines will we see a explosion and shockwave .i have nt seen anything in the gold demo just thought it would look exellent and also aid the person who has stumbled into the mines by leaveing a pot hole etc and serve as a visial warning to keep there troops away from there .

[This message has been edited by waffen (edited 06-11-2000).]

What i was driving at is can I go through my own mine firld easier since in theory i placed the mines and i guess would have a map. I am referring to VOD and a counter attack. I wanted to pursue a retreating enemy and got bogged down in my own mine field and wire. Do ya thing I should be able to traverse my own mine field faster and with less damage than an enemy could?

i dont think anyone even the unit that lay the mines could get back through the field ,imagine if you forgot a few places you placed mines .not a nice thought.maybe they would leave a section clear that all units would know about .but a defending side wouldnt chase there attacker as they are there to hold that area and thats it i would say.just my thoughts on this hope they help

cheers

The units that placed the mines often did keep maps, and deliberately left zig-zag lanes for future advances through them.

Of course there's no guarantee that the unit that placed the mines was YOUR unit. The individual mines were there at the beginning of the game.

The issue is similar to the one of "friendly fire" from friendly MGs. Some insight from BTS on the game's implementation is the only way to resolve this one.

If you are playing with full Fog of War on, then Engineer units are more adept at spotting mines. Perhaps they're the guys spotting them?

If you can see all of them from the git-go, you are not using FOW. Naughty, naughty.

Howdy, et al..

yeah engineers are supposed to pass on the maps where they put the mines but, well poop happens..

the mech infantry task force I supported at a NTC iteration back in the early 1980's lost its anti-tank platoon because they didn't get word where a certain minfield was....

------------------

unca pathy will show ya the path,

if only he could find it himself!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by patboivin:

How do I set that up?

I don't remember it coming up when we start a new scenario.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you select the new scenario, right after the initial scenario briefing, the Choose Side & Game Options window appears.

Beneath are about 3 option selections, with little down arrows to display the choices. FOW can be Full, Partial, or None. (Gawd, I've been writing manuals too long).

I never saw a single AI infantry or tank get killed by a mine. And I doubt that even a engineer squad will see a concealed mine at a distance further the 30cm ( and even then its a 50%-50% gamble at best). So either they are open minefields, then they are to direct the enemy in a special spot or prevent him from spots... (but then there are to few of them) or they are far too easily spotted. At VoT I found that I can only learn their postion the hard way ...

Though my question is : are the mines easier to spot for the AI (to give here a better chance couse she isnt that smart) ?

murx

Guest Scott Clinton

<HTML>

<DIR>

<DIR>

...Engineer units are more adept at spotting mines. Perhaps they're the guys spotting them?</P></DIR>

</DIR>

No enemy units can see mines (other than the 'daisy chain' mines) before they explode. This includes engineers. This comes strait from BTS.</P>

Also, I have left units (an engineer btw) in a minefield for 8-10 turns with no mines exploding. It appears that actual movement is required to set off the mines. Now, if the speed of the movement (i.e. "running" Vs "crawling" Vs "sneaking" etc.) makes mines more likely to explode I don't know (but I have not seen a difference that I can tell).</P></BODY>

</HTML>

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Murx:

I never saw a single AI infantry or tank get killed by a mine. And I doubt that even a engineer squad will see a concealed mine at a distance further the 30cm ( and even then its a 50%-50% gamble at best). So either they are open minefields, then they are to direct the enemy in a special spot or prevent him from spots... (but then there are to few of them) or they are far too easily spotted. At VoT I found that I can only learn their postion the hard way ...

Though my question is : are the mines easier to spot for the AI (to give here a better chance couse she isnt that smart) ?

murx<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen an AI tank disabled by a mine in my first game of VoT against the AI.

------------------

Andreas

The powers of accurate perception are often called cynicism by those who do not possess them. (forgot who said it)

• 4 months later...

I bumped this up because I have a question. Are minefields supposed to be visible? I can't recall in the 25 or so games I've played so far anybody being killed by a minefield. I have seen enemy minefields at times. In a QB tonight I saw a AT minefield in a road but no one was anywhere near it. Is that right?

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.