New commander type/bonus discovered? (slightly off topic)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blackhorse:

Allied Forward Observer.

Able to destroy all concrete Bunkers in just one fire mission.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just ran through VoT with the idea of truly treating FOs as public enemy #1. Wherever I could find one rearing his ugly, bespectacled head, I targeted him with everything in sight, ignoring all but the most immediate threats.

The results were dramatic. There was only one sustained Allied bombardment, of C platoon on the German left, which suffered heavily. Both concrete pillboxes and one of the wooden ones survived the entire game (and the other wooden one was killed by a bazooka). I left the AT box on the hill in the default position, and used it freely against FOs when there were no Shermans to shoot at. Result: Axis total victory.

I must say I was assisted in this by the AI's propensity to move the FOs up front... but the FO-die-a-lot-now strategy seems to have worked. There was no major bombardment of the hill, Plomville, or the other VL hill on the German right. I believe there were 2 Allied FOs left at the end, but with casualties and heavily-soiled uniforms.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Name: Stefan Bakker

Special ability: His first tank shot in a scenario will always be a "critical hit" disabling an (or the) enemy key unit.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

biggrin.gif

I'm honoured, but the real secret is that all my sherman gunners have been trained bij Zen boedhists since birth. smile.gif

For the onlookers:

In two PBEM games against Dschugaschwili i managed to kill an 88 in Riesberg and the AT-bunker in Vot with the first shot in the first turn. Dschugaschwili seems to tear his hair out in frustation over this while i am considering transforming my appartment to a temple for lady luck. biggrin.gif

Grtz S Bakker

[This message has been edited by s bakker (edited 05-30-2000).]