Panzershreck effective range

While playing CE I observed a German shreck team firing at my stationary sherman at a range of 190 meters and its rockets were sailing some 20 to 30 meters past the target. This initially puzzled me as I did not realize the difference between the panzershreck and the panzerfaust and thought that all German handheld AT weapons had a range of only 100 meters. I now know that the shreck has a maximum range of 225 meters, but are they actually anything for a AFV to be concerned about at this range? Is it overly cautious (or even downright cowardly) to keep my Shermans 250 meters away while engaging unidentified infantry? I realize that since it is a shaped charge the impact of a shreck rocket is not effected by the range it travels, but do shrecks have any realistic chance of hitting anything (even a stationary target) at extreme ranges? Anyone out there ever kill a sherman with a sheck from 200+ meters?

Any long range shots I've taken have a hit probability in the order of less than 3%.

I still try and keep my tanks as far from the enemy infantry as possible. Those little buggers can RUN.

------------------

Floreat Jerboa !

I lost an M4 to one of those suckers (in Reisburg) just the other day. It was a reasonably close shot and was my only tank loss for the whole fight. I too(now) give some latitude in movement when I have "INFANTRY?"

show up...

OTOH, I had a PZFaust hit an M4 in the same fight and it bounced off with a loud "clang"...distance was about

eighty meters...the M4 crew put it into reverse at the speed of light and backed up to a position behind the trees near the last two structures on the far right side...it was a hoot to watch how it played out...

Guest Big Time Software

There are some great threads to find using Seach, but the basic info is...

The Panzerschreck was reusable, based on the US bazooka (but larger). A Schreck can hit out to 225m with a lot of luck, and in fact can shoot even further but with not a hope of hitting.

Panzerfausts were one shot deals. Effective ranges varied depending on the model. PF30 = 30m, PF60 = 60m, PF100 = 100m. They just started to put a reuseable PF150 into service towards the very end of the war, but few if any wound up in the hands of troops. The PF250 was never produced.

Archangel, I suspect the PF didn't "bounce", but instead detonated in a way that didn't casuse any real damage. One thing about shaped charnges, they don't tend to bounce wink.gif

Steve

Steve

Personally I think that it only makes sense to engage with a man-portable AT weapon at 1/4 of its maximum range. This almost invariably ensures a first round kill.

You don't have to worry much about schrecks until you get within 100 metres. In fact, getting an opponent to waste his schrecks by sitting at 205 metres from him and letting him waste his schrecks with 3% shots and not be able to get 50% shots when you close is a good thing to do to an inexperienced opponent.

During a Chance Encounter PBEM game with Yakstock, one of his panzerschrecks knocked out an M4A1 at just over 200 m. Even 3% chances come in sometime. You just never know when they will.

After all, the odds of the St. Louis Rams winning Super Bowl XXXIV were as low as 200 to 1 (0.5%) and they still did it. smile.gif

fo4