Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Whether you're a buff, a historian or are scarred for life by that insidious paean to it in "Bedknobs and Broomsticks," this is a Home Guard bounty nay unto priceless, for there apparently weren't many copies printed of the Home Guard manuals, of which few survive. I suspect many wound up as kindling once German invasion was invasion was no longer a threat. the main site is a sprawling affair covering not just 32nd Battlalion (Aldridge) in Staffordshire, but the entire Home Guard from inception to end.

http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/J16Manuals.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

Back in the middle to late '50s there was an article in either True or Argosy magazine about the underground concealed bunkers meant to provide sheltered living space for stay behind guerrilla fighters in case of a German invasion. That article quite struck my early adolescent fancy and I felt a lifelong urge—regrettably never fulfilled—to create something similar to live in. I remember quite a few of the details of its layout. Then for decades after information about them dried up. Only about twenty or thirty years ago did they start to re-emerge into the light of day. The deal was that they had become dangerous to the unsuspecting public due to wood rot causing them to be liable to cave in at inconvenient moments. So in the process of demolishing them, the full story came out. Thankfully, they were never needed operationally, but they were evidence that the Brits fully intended if necessary to make a last ditch resistance to any German occupation.

Michael

Michael Emrys,

You're saying you want to live in a hobbit barrow? The one I saw in LOTR looked quite cozy, though you'd probably have to drastically resize it in the vertical to make it work for you. I found it cozy and charming based on its appearance. Here's a short history of British in WWII and post-War NATO stay-behind units (SBU, not to be confused with the wretched replacement for the famous SBD ) which formed the operational component of OPERATION GLADIO. This is a short history of British SBUs, complete with a great interior shot of a typical SBU shelter.

Regards,

John Kettler

57 minutes ago, John Kettler said:

You're saying you want to live in a hobbit barrow?

That would do nicely. Something warm in winter and cool in summer. Steps would have to be taken to keep it dry during rainy days of course, but careful planning and construction should do the job.

Michael