To all the quitters and over-protective "parents"...

Gentlemen:

I'll try to be brief, but that is always a challenge for me (see what I mean?).

First of all, to the "quitters": Just because some immature sadistic people post disgusting pictures on "our board" (that's a good one) that make normal people recoil in horror doesn't mean you have to LOOK at them, or even read any of their posts. It's like people complaining about what's on TV or the bookshelves--JUST DON'T WATCH OR READ WHAT OFFENDS YOU! On the other hand, if you cannot stand the thought that there are weirdos out there taking pleasure in such things, what makes you think we care if you "leave" this board? That's your choice, of course, but why clutter up the already-saturated board with your "farewell"? That's analogous to the pointless "I'm on vacation" emails that clog up corporate email systems. Some of you have been very helpful and courteous to others, and for that reason it's a shame you think you're punishing someone by "leaving".

To the over-protective parents: if someone posts a message expressing discontent with "our game" on "our board", just ignore it, don't write back accusing them of being a "troll". If someone doesn't like this games because it's turn-based, or because they don't like the faces of the characters, or whatever, that is certainly their prerogative. You don't have to further clog the board with your attacks on someone who dared to express their views on the game and its perceived shortcomings. We can't stop people from wasting their time writing why they won't buy CM, but we can spare ourselves the spectacle of 20 replies telling the person "we don't care".

Finally, I love this game. I don't play anything else any more (CC, Panzer Elite, Talonsoft's excellent collection, etc.), and I find few (if any) bothersome faults with CM. BTS has done a most remarkable job in creating and supporting this game. I just think many people get too protective about it. Nothing is perfect, and constructive criticism (without having to beg forgiveness when offering it) should be encouraged to help build an even more remarkable game.

Just lighten up, guys. You remind me of classical music connoiseurs (of which I am one) who think that once something appeals to "the masses", they cannot enjoy it anymore (like this board). Please ignore the posts you don't like, and continue to support and amuse each other. Just remember, if you feel the need to leave, I don't give the proverbial rat's ass.

der bob (ducking like a soccer referee in anticipation of missiles thrown by angry over-protective parents)

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>First of all, to the "quitters": Just because some immature sadistic people post disgusting pictures on "our board" (that's a good one) that make normal people recoil in horror doesn't mean you have to LOOK at them, or even read any of their posts. It's like people complaining about what's on TV or the bookshelves--JUST DON'T WATCH OR READ WHAT OFFENDS YOU!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, it's BTS' board, and they can do with it what they wish. Anyone who thinks this is a public forum should be made very much aware that is their board and you have to follow their rules.

As for your analogy to television, there is a big difference IMHO between that and this board. The pictures in question were extremely offensive, served no purpose (CM-related or otherwise), and carried no disclaimers. Some people would not rather open up an innocent-looking thread and find themselves looking at dead bodies. TV at least carries disclaimers and (usually) gives you some idea of what you're going to see before you see it

Also, if a television channel repeatedly carries offensive material, you can opt to just not watch that channel. That is, in effect, what some people have elected to do in regard to this forum. They've found themselves looking at offensive material or flame threads too often, and have chosen to watch another channel. That is there perogative, and I respect their decision.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>To the over-protective parents: if someone posts a message expressing discontent with "our game" on "our board", just ignore it, don't write back accusing them of being a "troll". If someone doesn't like this games because it's turn-based, or because they don't like the faces of the characters, or whatever, that is certainly their prerogative. You don't have to further clog the board with your attacks on someone who dared to express their views on the game and its perceived shortcomings. We can't stop people from wasting their time writing why they won't buy CM, but we can spare ourselves the spectacle of 20 replies telling the person "we don't care".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would the person have written on the board if they didn't want a response? In fact, the person I think you are referring to came back to view the replies and respond to them. Actually, I think that leaving someones thread out to dry like what you're suggesting is kind of rude. The original poster wasn't really offensive in any way. Why should such a person be treated rudely by his concerns not being responded to? He raised concerns and got answers, that's all.

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

Guest Big Time Software

Der Bob, point well taken. People need to lighten up in some cases, but as Andreas points out there are some cases that call for swift and instant judgement. Figuring out the difference between the two is not always easy, but in at least one case it was unfortunately all to clear.

Closing up "clutter" thread.

Steve