Sound of MG42

I've heard this weapon referred to as 'Hitler's Zipper.' I seem even to remember a cartoon in which one GI is zipping up a winter coat, prompting another to dive into a foxhole. The sound of these weapons in CM doesn't sound very 'zipper-like' to me. Did you model the sound off a real MG42? Anyone got a link to a sound file of one of these things firing?

TIA

Guest Big Time Software

Totally accurate smile.gif We have a video with a MG42 live firing. We couldn't lift the sound out of the video itself (copyright violation) but we could make one up ourselves using a .30cal and a sound editing program. The end result is just the same as the original.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Steve - what is this video you have? Is it old war footage? Depending on the circumstances, there is a good chance you can use the sound of the MG42 from the video.

Things to consider:

Was the SOUND of the MG42 that was used in the video already in the public domain?

Assuming that the film's author fixed the sound of the MG42 in a recording

that was put in the soundtrack, you should ask how your use of that recording in Combat Mission will effect the actual or potential market for or the value of the video. If the answer is "it won't" then your use of the MG42 sound in Combat Mission will probably be allowed under the fair use doctrine.

As a practical matter, even if you used the MG42 sound in the game, it is highly unlikely that the producers of the video would recognize the sound as theirs and come after you.

This is actually a pretty interesting situation - can you give me some more details? I'd like to research this a little but more...

It doesn't really matter since when I get CM I can just myself get the video of MG42 the sound and put it into CM. I don't think I will be in trouble for that. There are a plenty of sounds on the web to go around. You can even get the CC3 sounds which I think it's pretty close, unless I'm mistaken.

Peter

Where do you get the CC3 sounds from? Ive tried going into the sounds directory but all there is one file, that isn't a zip file.

------------------

"Battles are won by slaughter and maneuver. The greater the general, the more he contributes in maneuver, the less he demands in slaughter."

Sir Winston Churchill

Guest Big Time Software

There is another issue, and that is quality. Our sounds come off of digital recordings. Off a VHS/PAL system you are going to get lots of hiss and other crap. Also, there was some guy talking up the qualities of the gun as it fired too smile.gif

The video was History of the Gun. It is a series on The History Channel, and I am pretty sure you can buy the videos directly from them. Funny thing is that I saw this show about one week before I fired an MG42 myself smile.gif The year before I had fired a MP38 and MP44, and have fired a P08, P38, and Mauser Kar98k before as well. So... the last two German weapons that I need to fire are the MG34 (would have, but it was busted) and a G43. I'll pass on the more exotic stuff, but if I get the chance... you know what I will do wink.gif

Steve

'History of the Gun' is a way cool show.

You've got good taste, Steve. smile.gif

I think I've seen at least a dozen episodes of it. I'll never get to see many of these weapons in person. And seeing vibrant full-color video of the many weapons of the show in use is better than grainy black and white war footage.

Jason