Cheating in PBM

I am presently play a PBM game called Empire Deluxe and you can easily cheat.

You receive a move, play it, do not save it, reload it again and get different battle results (not all the time but try it agian and it will work one of the times) and you can also change where you will move units for better attacks or defeance.

Guest Big Time Software

We hate cheaters, and cheaters are going to hate us smile.gif Have no fear, we have made a very tight system...

1. Each player enters a password which is encrypted into the file.

2. The file is compressed using a propriatary system so that file hacking isn't possible.

3. Depending on circumstances, a player either watches the movie and plots, or just plots, or just watches the movie. No player will ever see a moive after plotting moves, so there can be no "redo" after unfavorable results. This requires one extra file swap, but it is absolutely necessary.

Pretty nice, eh?

Steve

What would prevent a player from receiving his opponnents order file, making a copy of it, and then executing a turn just to see what happens. He could then go back to the copy, and plan his orders as normal, but with some pretty good insight about what the enemy was going to do in the next minute.

Not that it should matter... I've always found that the best away to avoid having your opponents cheat is to avoid playing games with cheaters. Considering the type of people CM will appeal to, and lack of retail mass market availability, I don't think it should be too much of a problem.

Chris R

Guest Big Time Software

Because you can NEVER see a movie after plotting a turn. It HAS to go back to the other side to be completed. So such a cheat is impossible. Pretty easy to code around cheating with our movement system.

Steve

Guys,

I think BTS point is that since they are using simultaneous moves player 1 will plot his moves, send the turn to player two who will then see the results of the turn and plot his response. THEN player two sends the file to player one who views the movie, plots his response and send it all back to player one who views the results.

This way you will always see a movie (results) and THEN plot but never plot and THEN see the results within the time necessary to cheat wink.gif

Pretty damned good eh?

Guest John Maragoudakis

In the first turn there is no movie(results) to see immeadiatly. So player one plots, sends his data. Player 2 plots, sends back data.

Turn2) Player 1 sees movie of turn 1, player 1 plots for turn 2, sends data. Player 2 sees movie for turn 1, plots for turn 2.

and so on... correct?

Guest titan

I think this game is for the more serious wargammer that enjoys a challenge and after reading many posts by alot of the people here i would doubt very much anyone here thats interested in this game would use such methods to win a game cause in my opinion as soon as one cheats you,ve lost already,remeber this game aint gunna attract to many many of the redalert generals where who has the most and can build the most fastest wins,